1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep reporters, chime in please

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Norman Stansfield, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

That's a good story. Mind sharing who Kelly Kicker really was? I'm curious.

2. sartysnopes

sartysnopes Member

If they opened the sidelines at NCAA or NFL games, would a single person here sit up in the press box? I hope not. So why would it be any different for preps? It's an opportunity to get a better story. Take advantage of it.
    I'm confounded anyone would choose to sit farther away from the people involved in any sports event. Would you sit in the nosebleed section rather than courtside at a basketball game? Capturing expressions and emotions is important. Sure, the coach might tell you after the game he was nervous. But you had the ability to capture that yourself if you would have gotten off your butt and down on the sideline. The QB might say he never was frustrated, but you would have known better had you heard him yell that four-letter word when he walked off the field. I can't conjure a situation -- outside of rain -- in which being in the press box could make a story more compelling.
    It's not too difficult to create a system of keeping statistics, and don't be fooled into thinking it's impossible to keep them on the field. It's possible, and being on the field totally worth it. And if you can't write a gamer in 30 minutes from final whistle to file, how are going to write one at the MNF overtime game that ended an hour AFTER deadline? You have to learn to do it sometime.

3. sartrean

sartrean Member

Norman, sorry. Doing so would give away my identity even though I don't work at Kelly Kicker's hometown paper anymore.

And since my publisher has nothing to do but surf the internet all day every day, he's would soon find my posts, and I would then surely be fired for having an opinion on anything.

Draft saved Draft deleted