1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep Reporter: Opelika-Auburn News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Mike Szvetitz, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Mike Szvetitz

Mike Szvetitz Member

The Opelika-Auburn (Ala.) News is looking for a preps reporter immediately.

This is a very important position to not only our sports staff, but entire paper, as we cover 21 very competitive high schools.
    We're looking for someone who can not only write gamers, features, previews, but who can also think outside the box in terms of coverage, social media, online video, etc., as it pertains to the beat.

The job will also require some "desking" duties ... We don't paginate/design the paper in house (we've got a consolidated editing center in Hickory, N.C.), but there are some residual responsibilities.
    There will also be opportunities to cover Auburn University football, as well as other AU athletic events.

I know that sounds like a lot, but with a small staff, everyone has to do a little bit of everything.

I'm looking to move very quickly on this hire ... so please get your stuff in ASAP.

Send resume, cover letter, three references and five clips to mszvetitz@oanow.com.

If anyone has questions, they can email me there as well.

Thanks,
    MIKE SZVETITZ

2. David Morrison

David Morrison New Member

First!

Anyway, I'm the Auburn University reporter at the paper -- formerly the preps guy -- so I can vouch for the competitiveness of the beat and what it takes to handle it.

You can direct message me or e-mail me at dmorrison@oanow.com if you have any questions or want to know more about the job.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

What's the pay range for this?

4. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

I'll vouch for the goodness of Szvetitz. Great guy, great shop, great town. You couldn't go wrong.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Where's Stuart going?

6. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

mike is most definitely good people and he puts out a quality product.

three small paper openings in alabama right now, btw

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If you had to deal with a second year under El Presidente, am surprised there's not more than three openings...

8. In the tradition of Media General, the higher-ups are total clowns. But luckily Mike is a terrific guy and will insulate you from the nonsense above.

9. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

How can anyone be completely insulated from what is going on above them in this business? every bad decision trickles down in some form or fashion

10. I think Rusty makes a good point in most situations.

11. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Although Rusty is always on point, THIS take is perhaps one of the most cogent and sound I have seen in a LONG time.

Back to the thread ...

rb

12. Andrew Gribble

Andrew Gribble New Member

Can't say enough good things about Mike. Fantastic boss and person. I put in close to two years here, so I can provide an honest take on the job, living situation, etc. Feel free to PM me.

Draft saved Draft deleted