1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep RB ruled ineligble after comments to reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Big_Space, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

Yeah, so that is definitely much worse than taking $10 worth of t-shirts and (maybe) some cash because some people just want to help you out. It's amazing how some of these priorities are so out of whack that we get so worked up about a kid possibly accepting a gift that is not from the football program or tied to him going to a certain school and don't get nearly as outraged over a potential rape of a 14-year-old. That Northwestern story is not getting near the play in the Florida media that the Rainey story did, and it's a shame.

2. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Agreed. I haven't followed the Northwestern coverage, but columnists should be crying foul or at least opening a discourse. The police spokesperson indicated that the football player and the girl had some sort of sweet puppy love thing that turned a little more serious.

I can see both sides of this. I recall being 15 and discovering the wonders of the female anatomy. But my girlfriend was 16. Like I said, it's sort of fuzzy territory. If the girl were 16 and the guy were 17, there likely would be no story. But when he's 19, it seems that he probably ought to serve prison time. I'm sure the person who pressed the charges felt that way. I mean, aside from the consent factor, one would think they'd consider that molestation or some such thing.

By the way, what the hell is a 19-year-old kid doing in high school? And not just 19, but 19 with half the school year to go. He could well be 20 before he graduates.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It IS his job to not bury the lede.

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

** Committed to Florida

5. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

FHSAA allows folks to play through the season where they reach 19 years, 9 months.

The thing about the STA-Lakeland result is, if Rainey is indeed found ineligible (doubt that it would happen), STA would not win the title by default. It would be a vacated championship. That's why the Rainey status question was so big leading into the game.

6. enigami

enigami Member

This is a disappointing follow-up. It doesn't resolve the "athletes-word-vs.-the-paper's" issue. Paper's words, if they were on tape, looked pretty damning to me. If it's a public school board, let's see some transcripts.

7. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

point of order, was there a reason you stated he was committed to Florida...i would venture to say many high school kids these days, especially in towns where they are celebrities as Rainey is in Lakeland, get gifts from non-football people. most don't talk about it like he did, and that is the difference.

as for easterling, there are some kids who turn 19 in the fall of their senior year. in some states, there is a cutoff as to when you turn 19 if you are eligible to play in sports that year. the girl, i am guessing, was a freshman. many seniors date freshman, and i am sure get it on with kids these days. doesn't make it right, it is the law, but it's fuzzy.

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

The GMAC... more corrupt than if Prop Joe and Clay Davis got combined in Jeff Goldblum's transformation chamber.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

That's the difference, and it still could make him ineligible per NCAA rules since public statements by the kid himself indicate he has violated his amateur status.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I love the part where the Lakeland High officials said he didn't get the stuff only because he was a football player.
    I want to run the tuba player in the band through there and see if he gets some graft.

Draft saved Draft deleted