1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep polls

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

I'm not sure if this is the correct spot but since media guys are doing it, this probably is the best place.
    Take a look at these two prep football polls. The problem I have is that the guys who are voting really don't see any of these schools and are going too much on word of mouth. As a result, I think it ruins the idea of having a poll. When Dave Kreider began it years ago, I felt the poll was somewhat legit. Now, I'm not so sure.
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps/football/poll/2008-super25.htm
    http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool/rise/football/news/story?id=3615588

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Conversation pieces only.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Yeah, I thought that at first but what bothers me to an extent is that media guys are doing this and we (I'm speaking media) should know a little bit better about the subject. There are too many differences in these two polls to my liking.
    I know it makes for good conversation at the podunk diner but are outlets really giving these polls much validity?

4. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

It can be nearly impossible to see every team a national outfit is ranking (at least during football season, imho)... but I think the national polls can be valid if the people creating them either can manage to see every team (at least by the end of the season) and/or have very solid folks helping them in areas they can't get to.

Seems like it would be easier to do in basketball season, too, what with all the tournaments and such.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Does every prep writer see every team on the state level? No.
    Same principle...

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Exactly.

When I did state rankings, there was no way I was going to see some of those teams until the state tournament. But I believed that I had built a statewide network of contacts who could give me a pretty good idea of where teams fit in the food chain, and was able to put out 40 teams each week and feel good about it.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Just like every college hoops writer doesn't see every team. My problem is that there is too much discrepency in the polls. I know its difficult to say who is number one, especially on the prep level, but the differences in these two polls are just too much for my liking.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

My problem with the nationwide polls is a fairly new one that comes up from television discovering high school sports.

It seems that if a team gets a nationwide game on ESPNU or CBS College Sports, there's the tendency to think that they're better than they might actually be. In many cases, the tail wags the dog rather than the other way around on this.

In other words: Is Mater Dei on TV because they're one of the nation's top teams, or are they one of the nation's top teams because they're on TV?

I think we have a football team around here that is easily one of the nation's top 50. But they don't have the cachet of having been seen by a television audience.

I'll stop just short of suggesting that the ESPN poll pumps up the teams which are televised on its networks.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's a conversation piece as TSP said and to be taken with a grain of salt. Next you know, they'll be crowning national football champions based on a poll.

Wouldn't that be silly?

10. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Well, for colllege, yeah, that would be silly. Stupid, even.

What?

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I see you post here and one thought popped into my head -- T.C. Cameroon...

12. -Scoop-

-Scoop- Member

Yeah, polls are mainly conversation pieces. Gets people talking and readers reading. It amuses me how seriously some people take them. It shouldn't take a poll to tell you whether a team is good or not.

Draft saved Draft deleted