1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep opening: Opelika-Auburn News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Mike Szvetitz, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I know there are good female reporters, and poor ones.Just like anything else. Had a poor one at one place I worked years ago. If you're competent at the job, more power to you. And, no, I never believed that PLAYING or COACHING any sport was a prerequisite to covering it. I've covered more than 20 different sports and damn sure haven't played them all.

My point was certain companies have jumped on the affirmative action bandwagon at the expense of hiring the most qualified candidate. They don't like to publicize that, but it does exist at certain places. Not sure which is worse, that or the "we have to go with an entry-level candidate on this hire". Sheesh, all the experience I gained working hard over the past 15 years and you pick some 22-year-old j-school grad. (No offense to newbies, we were all there at one point or another.... Just blowing off steam.)

2. Luke Brietzke

Luke Brietzke New Member

White smoke on this one. David Morrison, former Birmingham News intern, has accepted the job.

3. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Apparently, Mike wasn't kidding...five days from posting to hire is pretty quick. Congratulations to David.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Damn good hire... Someone Julio can beat in poker at the all-state meetings.
    He'll do a great job.

5. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

There is an inside joke there between slappy and myself ... :)

RB

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

soon as I saw you on the board, I knew I could lob the softball...

7. Rockbottom

I carefully sized that softball up before grounding meekly to second and being thrown out by 15 steps. I drown in fail.

RB

8. bake1234

bake1234 Member

Congrats to Morrison - great guy and great reporter.

9. Rockbottom

NO offense to Morrison, whom I am sure is a good guy and all ... But let's hold off on the "great reporter" tag until, you know, he begins his first full-time job. :)

RB

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

For a guy heading into his first job (even though he worked his ass off in his last internship), he'll do very well. He's no Rules of Golf, but then again, which one of us is?

11. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

RB stands at the ready, prepared to leap in lest anyone praise a talented youngster. Nice to see true insecurity knows no bounds.

12. Rockbottom

Again, folks, I simply am against the word great in this context. Bob woodward was a great reporter. This particular, sure-to-be star-studded youngster will get there on his own in due time.

I don't know the guy from Adam, M_W. If he is half the reporter the O-A News' former Auburn scribe, he will prove worthy of the advance praise.

RB

Draft saved Draft deleted