1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep opening: Opelika-Auburn News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Mike Szvetitz, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Mike Szvetitz

Mike Szvetitz Member

The Opelika-Auburn (Ala.) News is looking to fill its prep opening as soon as possible.

We're looking for someone with experience, who can hit the ground running. This is a very important job, as there's 21 high schools in our coverage area.
    The job will also require some nights working on the sports desk -- copy editing, paginating and laying out the next day's sports section.
    There will also be opportunities to cover Auburn University football, as well as other AU athletic events.

I know that sounds like a lot, but with a small staff, everyone has to do a little bit of everything.

For anyone who's interested, I'm looking to move very quickly on this hire ... don't know how long it will be open for ... so please get your stuff in ASAP.

Please send resume, cover letter and five clips to mszvetitz@oanow.com.

If anyone has questions, they can email me there as well.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Sounds like a pretty awesome gig for someone in the deep south: good preps, major university, chance to both write and do desk work.

I know a lot of guys don't salivate at the chance to work the desk, but it's a darn essential skill to have, especially in these days of cutbacks and such. Any experience paginating will only help down the road.
  3. times38

times38 Member

I don't know much about the gig, but I know Szvetitz is good people.
  4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Ditto. The Moddy Seal. Jump on this, you youngsters who have been wondering if there are any more opportunities. This is a good one.
  5. Andrew Gribble

Andrew Gribble New Member

This is my current shop. I can attest to all that has been said in previous posts. Feel free to PM.
  6. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

The Wingman Seal doesn't mean anything, but this job has it.

Szvetitz isn't just a good guy, he's a good boss. And this is a pretty good job. Some quality prep sports in that area, and lots of opportunity to do good work. I suspect he''ll have a lot of resumes to sift through.
  7. My step-grand-nephew used to live in Beulah, which is near Auburn, so I've visited the area many times. It's a nice place to live. I believe Mike actually played guitar in my step-grand-nephew's church. First-class guy.

Check out Toomer's Drugs and get the lemonade.
  8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Any idea what pay looks like here? Says they're looking for experience, so I assume this isn't entry-level salary we're talking about, right?
  9. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Mike is good people and there's plenty to cover in Lee County. An excellent gig, for sure.
  10. Mike Szvetitz

Mike Szvetitz Member

Bigpern ...
    Yes, this is an entry-level position, and the salary does reflect that -- just to be clear.
    However, with the exposure and experience a writer would get, it's a pretty good gig. Not to mention, many newspapers are laying off, and we're hiring.

Any specific questions, you can PM or email me. I'll be as honest as I can.
  11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

No offense, Mike, because I don't mean this to be directed at you or your paper, but this is a huge problem with the industry as a whole and we've all seen plenty of ads that reflect it on this site and others.

"We want an experienced reporter who can do everything, but we're only willing to pay an entry-level salary, but, hey, we're hiring, you should be happy to take the scraps we're offering."

And people wonder why good journalists are leaving the industry?
  12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Agree. Don't put you want experience but consider it entry-level. That's a BS statement to put on an ad.
Draft saved Draft deleted