1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep leader/writer, Birmingham News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by heyuimintojsus, Jan 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Putt4dough

Putt4dough New Member

I can and should point out for the record that I can verify the Birmingham News does not screw the interns as it was previously written. Just wanted to make that perfectly clear. It is the complete opposite. They make it almost as easy as possible to succeed in every way.

That's how really ignorant rumors get started.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

It was refuted pretty quickly.

And argyle, stringers are in-house for the purposes of this discussion. Those guys do as much work as the staffers do and have been running the show for a few months. And their not-so-touching parting gift is a kick in the nuts.

3. butch

butch Member

It seems obvious there are some folks here who are invested emotionally in this situation and just aren't going to be OK with the decision made. That's understandable, but it doesn't mean you're right, and it doesn't mean your "in-house" guys got "kicked in the nuts."
    From professional experience, I can state that when it comes to covering a massive amount of schools and churning out creative features, gamers and other projects (including on-line stuff), Sentell is about as good a preps guy as you're going to get these days.

4. Scrubs

Scrubs Member

Butch is right on the mark. Jeff is a good one (both as a worker and a person), and this is a great hire. And, not to be too snarky, but if the people already there don't like it, they can always find another option.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

That's pretty snarky, no matter how you meant it.

6. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

i'm looking for the post that said Jeff would be a bad hire. doubt anybody will find it since it's not there. and, for the record, none of the in-house candidates who were passed over, have posted anything otherwise.
    calling the guys who have been running the show stringers is a slap at them. combined, the three "stringers" have probably 70 years experience in the biz and are pretty well respected statewide. this boils down to when should you go outside for a hire and when should you reward loyalty to folks who have proved more than capable of handling the job - currently and in their past work history.

7. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

As I've said before, I have nothing but confidence in Jeff per the respected opinions of people I know.
    It's completely irrelevant of how some here feel this one went down. It's not a slight, personal attack, etc., on Jeff.

And Jeff, when you get out in Bham, make sure you hit up the Purple Onion by UAB when you need some sober-up food. Place is (IIRC) open all night and you can't go wrong with just about anything on the menu.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

Good call on the Purple Onion. It's a good place to go for lunch Sunday after a long Saturday night.

And I wish Jeff the best of luck in a challenging gig.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Only thing I know about B'ham is that it's not a good idea to eat the hot dogs at Legion Field. Oh, and that Jeff is definitely buying the first round.

10. MU_was_not_so_hard

In defense of those hot dogs, they were probably only two days old.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Yeah, this is such a great job market. It's easy for talented people to find options at this point.

Must've missed that memo.

12. MU_was_not_so_hard

It was in the same memo addressing the Legion Field hot dogs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.