1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep leader/writer, Birmingham News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by heyuimintojsus, Jan 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

thanks for the clarification, Funky

2. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I don't know. I *do* know they are still out to folks, and have not come to any concrete conclusion.

rb

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

On the link to "Journal-isms" from FunkyMountain,
    Is that the same Wanda who was at the Sun Herald in Biloxi at one point?
    If so, when did she move to Montgomery, or wherever she is?

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Word on the street is this one's about decided.
    Four interviews, three external candidates. One source says one of the candidates, an out-of-stater, impressed people in the office. Another source says it's between that candidate and another who is in-state.
    Decision could be made by end of week.
    Take it for what it's worth.

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

Looks like we have a winner in this one.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Who got the gig?

7. MU_was_not_so_hard

Word on the street is that Jeff Sentell of Augusta has accepted the gig. I believe he was the prep editor over there, but he also covered some low-level pro stuff and helped out w/ golf.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

And once again, people who bust ass for your section every day are undervalued.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Of course. Management can rationalize it, though. They already know what they have with the in-house people. So why promote? Just hire, hire, hire from the outside. And then, management wonders why morale is at all-time lows.

10. MU_was_not_so_hard

I believe the appropriate response to that is "Amen."
    Look, I don't know Jeff from a hole in the wall, although I've heard he's very good people from someone I trust quite a bit. His job opening will then open up opportunities for said friend.
    Still, why was Birmingham conducting a search in the first place? As I said before, was it simply to conduct a search and get people to apply?

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

If this is true, Birmingham made one helluva hire. Having worked with Jeff in Virginia, I can attest to his fine skills. Great reporter/writer and an even better dude. Congrats, if you read this board, Jeff.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

There were two talented people in-house. As MU said, it was foolhardy for them to even look out the window to read the weather.

Look, I'm sure Jeff will do well. And when someone like MU says he's good people, I believe him. But this is another sign of how people get dicked around even when they "pay their dues."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.