1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep leader/writer, Birmingham News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by heyuimintojsus, Jan 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I met Ron once, down in Mobile at the Miss/Ala All-Star Football week.
    But as much of a legend as I heard he was, I never really read much of his stuff. (Too busy chasing down all my own prep stuff ,that comes with a job like sportswriting at Podunk Times)
    Anyway, was Ron often or ever asked to cover anything hard-hitting, or is this maily just a beat where the standings and previews and features fill up the docket.
    For instance, how tough was he when Propst had his recent problems?
    Just asking. Anyone here read the News much.

2. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Ron wasn't ... the News left much of that Propst hatchet work to Jon Solomon. Ron wrote the good news -- and did less and less of it as time went on, instead relying on a veritable battalion of stringers to carry their considerable load.

rb

3. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

as I understand it, the News wants to amp up its hard news coverage of preps with more trend and enterprise stories and this person will take the lead on that as well as handling the administrative side of things.

4. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

As usual, 2under knows more about most things than I.

rb

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I know the feeling... damn him all to hell!

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

As others have said, Ron's duties were mainly administrative by the end. They had other guys for the hard-hitting stuff. I understand the new position will be more of a blend of the two.

7. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

all i know is that their freelancers are making a shit-pot load of cash while the news wrestles with their new hire. it's like they have backed up a brinks truck to the loading dock. They are baling it and stacking it as we speak.

8. jmb51879

jmb51879 Member

the best thing this job has going for it is it's a newhouse paper. awesome company to work for and this gig doesn't seem too bad in itself

9. chazp

chazp Active Member

He knows more than me as well, but I've heard a rumor that he cheats at golf.

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Ron's a good dude, and a purist. I'd bet he'll be a great fit for the new job. He probably knew more names and more stats of high school athletes in every sport than anyone else I ever me. Also hooked me up with a couple of stringer gigs when I was in college. Thanks.

11. InDaBoonies

InDaBoonies New Member

Will the new guy get to put his mug on football gamers? That always freaked me out. But I guess you've hit the big time when you literally become the face of high school sports in Alabama.

But seriously, is The News close to filling this one? The basketball tournaments are right around the corner, and it's hard to believe the state's largest newspaper would go an entire season without a prep writer when they have people perfectly capable of handling the job right under their noses. But then again, you would probably have to be crazy to want take on the load this job requires.

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I hear they've interviewed at least one of the outside candidates they have in their sites, not in-house. No idea if he will get it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.