1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep football stat questions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by The Computer Says No, Sep 8, 2008.

1. I've been covering prep games for a couple of years now and have always been sort of winging it on things like these, but I figured I should take advantage of the experts on here.

When there is holding behind the line, are any offensive stats gained on that play erased?

On those holding penalties, do you just give the standard 10-yard penalty or is it the 10 yards plus however many yards the infraction occurred behind the line of scrimmage?

Those are the only two I can remember for now, but I'm sure some others will come to mind if this thread progresses. Thanks in advance.

2. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

It is my understanding that in high school, a holding penalty negates all negative stats. Therefore, a 5-yard loss with holding is just a 10-yard penalty from the original line of scrimmage, with no carry for the ball-carrier (or pass attempt, etc.).

3. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Funny you should ask, because we just had a multi-page thread on prep football stats, and JBHawkEye dropped this link on Page 4:
    http://apse.dallasnews.com/2008/aug2008/082608hsfbstats.html

Here's what the .pdf available there says:
    From that, to answer your first question, it looks like there's no rushing attempt/yardage awarded. (Hmph. I may have screwed that up for one play this week. I'd better go back and check.)

Second one seems fairly clear.

4. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

I had a bizzare one happen this weekend.

Team A runs a pass play, only someone forgot to tell the left guard. That's not unusual. But the flag is thrown when he's a good 4-5 yards downfield, and on his way there he was flagged for holding.
    The pass is incomplete. And the two infractions are shown (illegal man downfield and holding). Team B declines the illegal man penalty and takes the hold, but since it happened 3 yards ahead of the line of scrimmage, that's where the ref marks the penalty from.
    I'm not sure if that's how they should have done it (In fact I'm sure it's not), but that's what they did.
    So I'm sitting there going, okay, the ball wasn't advanced three yards, heck it was an incomplete pass. So doI still credit the QB with a 3-yard rush and the 10 yard penalty, or just credit a 7-yard penalty? I ultimately went with a 7-yard penalty.

5. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

The penalty for holding always is 10 yards. The ballcarrier gets the minus or plus extra yardage involved in the play.

If it's first and 10 and there's a hold and the next play is first and 17, then the ballcarrier gets credit for 3 yards.

If it's first and 10 and there's a hold and the next play is first and 21, then the ballcarrier gets credit for minus-1 yard.

Always 10 yards for the hold (unless it's half the distance) and the ballcarrier gets credit, or demerit, for the rest of the yards.

6. BH33

BH33 Member

This is not true. High school rules are different. The correct answer to this question was given by pseudo. If a running back has a 7-yard gain, but there was a holding penalty 2 yards behind the line of scrimmage, it goes down as no play (and no rushing attempt for the RB) and a 12-yard penalty. If a running back has a 7-yard gain, but there was a holding penalty 2 yards past the line of scrimmage, the RB gets a 2-yard gain, and the team gets a 10-yard holding penalty. It's a quirky rule, but that's how it works.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Exactly what I was going to post. This is the rule. It is strange, but it's the rule.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

In Texas, editorhoo is correct.

It was something I learned after my first game. Texas follows the NCAA rulebook. If your state follows the NFHS rulebook, then pseudo is right.

9. I'm assuming my state (Fla.) goes by the NFHS book. Is there a statistician's manual for them just like there is for the NCAA? I looked (quickly) on their web site, but couldn't find it.

10. occasionally

occasionally Member

Another thing to remember -- the spots aren't always exactly right. So you can have a 4-yard or a 6-yard penalty even though it's supposed to be a 5-yard infraction. Depends on where they put it down.

11. I Digress

I Digress Guest

if there's no play.. i.e. its first down again.. there was no run.. so no yards can be awarded....it's possible to have a 25-yard holding penalty if it occurs 15 yards behind the line of scrimmage....

12. I was wondering the same thing. But according to information on the link provided by pseudo, the NFHS manual is no longer available.

Draft saved Draft deleted