1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep football national leaders...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Is there really a reliable place to go? The only thing I've found is MaxPreps.
    Only asking because we have a local kid who, after today's 300-yard performance, is at 218 carries for 2,128 yards and 35 touchdowns.
    He's not a D-I superstud, just a future D-II college kid who is playing in the worst division in RI (the state figures divisions out by a ridiculous formula using school size and winning percentage. Basically, his school is too good to play in D-IV, but they're too small to move up because they don't have the numbers, although this year's team has a stout 25 kids on it, up from 19 last year.).

2. Journo13

Journo13 Member

MaxPreps is the only place I can think of (that's only if your coaches enter in the stats).

3. Rhody31

The kid's coaches don't, but we staff every game so we have accurate stats. I'm just trying to get an idea of how many schools actually use MaxPreps.

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

The NFHS might have something, although it's probably not a call you want to make on deadline.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Maxpreps is probably your best bet, again, if the stats are entered. ESPNRise's rankngs are fairly trusty, but not sure if they do stat leaders (and the CalHiSports record book is the most comprehensive you'll find anywhere!)

6. Rhody31

Not on deadline.

7. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, the Louisiana leader, Cedric Skinner, had 2,345 yards and 33 TDs going into week 10.

Not sure if that helps you.

8. Rhody31

Helpful ... you guys are 10 games in already? We just finished up Week 8.
    How many games in most states? The max in RI is 12 ... nine regular season, one non-league and two playoff games. Yeah, that's right - we don't have district stuff. Stop laughing.

9. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

15 games max — 10 regular season games, 5 playoff games, counting the championship games.

District games are part of regular season and depending on the size of your district, you could play as many as eight district games or as few as three.

This week was the final week of the regular season. Playoff pairings are announced on Sunday, first round begins on Friday.

10. Rhody31

This is why I love Rhode Island.
    First, instead of classifying the divisions by school size, it's 60 percent school size, 40 percent win-loss records and schools can decline to move up or down.
    There are four divisions. Mind you, there are 42 schools in the state. In DI, III and IV, the top four teams make the playoffs. In D-II, the top four from each side of the division make it.
    D-II opens the playoffs the Friday before Thanksgiving, then play on Thanksgiving, then play on the following Tuesday with the Super Bowl on Saturday.
    The rest play on Thanksgiving, then in the semifinals Tuesday, then the Super Bowl Saturday.
    I really wish they'd just break it down to three divisions.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Just finished week 11 here.

Nine regular season games. Six playoff games.

If you win six games, you're in the playoffs. Eight divisions.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

That's an awful lot of games compressed into a little bit of time.

Tenth week of the season, one to go here (Central Section CIF). 10-game regular season, you can float those games over 11 weeks. 16-team postseason bracket. Then it's a crapshoot to see who gets state bowl bids.

Draft saved Draft deleted