1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep football help

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by farmerjerome, Sep 3, 2007.

1. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Doesn't sound like you guys leave yourselves much time to also take photos. Now that is fun, running the sideline with a camera and notebook, doing play by play and taking pictures.

2. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Legal pad on a clipboard for the play-by-play. Draw a line down the middle on a few sheets, presto. I have a fantastic (though I bet its generic) stat sheet that I use to keep stats taped to the back of the clipboard. So I spend my Friday nights flipping that board incessantly, but it works.

I'll be more than happy to fax a copy of the sheet I use to those who might want it. Just PM me a number.

3. skip2mylou

skip2mylou New Member

Do the stats on a separate sheet from the play-by-play
    Tally the team stats (fumbles, first downs, etc.) across top of the page. Split in half or on opposite sides of paper for each team. Add penalties as you go, cross out previous total, at end is total yds, count slashes for number, List each punt, add-divide at end

Fum/Lost: II/I (2/1) TEAM Pen:5 20 (2x20)
    Punts:35, 42, 14 NAME 1stD: IIII I (6)

Make sections on paper for rushing, passing and receiving underneath team stats
    Add the rushes and receiving yds. as you go, slash through previous total. At the end is total yds, count carries/catches and you're done with each;
    No. 21 gains for 3 yds, 12 yds, 23 yds for a TD.
    No. 14 gains for 5 yds, (-2 yds), 10 yds; End of game, put total at far right

RUSHING or RECEIVING
    21: 3 15 38 (circle) 3x38 TD
    14: 5 3 13 3x13

Passing
    Tally Com-Att-Int (Leave much more room than in this example)
    Keep the pass yds twice (Receivers and QBs) if more than one passer per team (Only passer with fewer throws, subtract from total)
    QB No. 7: 7-10-2 120yds
    Completions of 7 yds, 13yds, 52yds, 25yds, 7yds, 1yd, 15yds

7: IIII II/ IIII IIII/ II
    7 20 72 97 104 105 120

Use the play-by-play . . .
    12:00-Team Name
    1s10 20< 21 right gd 3y
    2n7 23< 81 pass (from) 7 7y 1st D
    1s10 30< 21 sweep right 12y 1st D Ran over #56 to gain first down
    1s10 42< 7 inc #9 dropped ball at 25>, open field to TD

. . . To recall yards and details from specific plays.

On back of stat sheet or first page of play-by-play legal pad, keep score by quarters and scoring summary

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

No, but only because I don't type the stats into the computer. I print off the sheets and keep stats by hand, but I keep my individual stats as a running total rather than adding them up at the end.

Draft saved Draft deleted