1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep football help

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by farmerjerome, Sep 3, 2007.

1. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Yeah, you're right. I was talking about the play-by-play.

2. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

Oh, I've got to do every f'ing player here. That's why I wondered.

3. D'oh.

I was going to scan my stat sheet, but I just realized I left it on somebody's desk.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I can do a stat sheet quick and scan it in sometime tomorrow, so anyone looking for ideas can get some.

5. I'm considering doing the same, but I keep realizing that I'm putting off writing a feature that's due in the morning. Plus, I have the Dog Whisperer in the background and for some reason, I really love that show.

6. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

You need more boundaries and leematations.

7. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

Does the program crash or the computer crash?

I always get a "GDI Resume Failure" with the program - like clockwork, in the third or fourth quarter. If the auto-save is on...just click No..restart the program and start it back, load the game file, make sure you are in the correct quarter and get back at it.

FixedIt isnt the best in the world, in terms of things it does (Records time after a kickoff, not the TD, which can skew Time Of Possession a bit). But I can deal with the issues for the price (free)

8. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Same here. I keep stats for every player. Not sure how you do boxes if you don't. Sometimes that means 10 different RBs in a blowout. Really annoying, but you need space for that.
    Plus, sometimes a player will have just one carry one game, bust out for 100+ the next and jump into the leaders. Don't see how you don't keep stats for every one.

9. ;D

The show started repeating, so I've started writing. Nothing huge... it's about 500 words.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I'll have something posted shortly in PDF form.

11. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

You can. Just refer to your play-by-play. Mine usually looks something like this

DingleBerries
    1-10 DB21 Benchwarmer No. 1 (13)
    1-10 DB34 Back-up QB ----------> Freshman Rec. (7)
    2-3 DB41 Benchwarmer No. 2 (59) 1:27 (pretend the bold is highlighted)

We don't do boxscores up here, just scoring summaries.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Some explanation...

The first column down the left hand side is attempts.

The top row is the player's number. That's the way I chart it during the game.

You'll see 7/11. That means he got 7 yards on that particular carry and 11 for the game.

I have a blank version of this I can post somewhere if the demand is out there.

Here's the link:
    http://wickedwritah.freewebspace.com/STATSHEET.pdf

Draft saved Draft deleted