1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

prep fb winning streaks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tom Petty, Aug 21, 2008.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I bet they take Daingerfield lightly ...

2. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Daingerfield gets no respect.... am i right?

[/ducking]

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

zillah, it's by far and away the biggest school in washington.

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

what about longest losing streaks?

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Clay County (Ala.) ran up a 55-game streak in the 90s. I actually saw their first state title win in that stretch, played in a monsoon against Hazlewood at CCHS' cow pasture of a stadium (with a cliff just past one end zone and a mound at the back of the other that looks like center field at Minute Maid Park.) With virtually every other championship game played in similar crap conditions that same night, the AHSAA wised up and moved the finals to Legion Field the following year.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Maryville (Tenn.) High is at 60 and counting. The same article where I found that also outlines Tennessee's classic kings of futility.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2008/aug/21/tennessee-maryville-enters-season-60-game-win-stre/?mobile

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

They got it in 1983.

Probably the best high school season ever. National-record 14 consecutive shutouts.

8. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Houston Davis had 80. That's a state record I don't see being broken.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Probably not, but I could see Marfa challenging that.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

According to Collier-Sharp, these are the current longest losing streaks in Texas:

TEAM DISTRICT LOSSES
    Austin Johnston 17-AAAA 41
    Houston Sam Houston 20-AAAAA 32
    Fort Worth Paschal 4-AAAAA 26
    Richardson 9-AAAAA 26
    Cross Plains 12-A 26
    Willis 18-AAAA 25
    San Antonio Memorial 27-AAAA 21
    Ingram Moore 25-AAA 21
    San Diego 31-AAA 21
    Lockney 3-AA 20
    Amarillo Highland Park 2-AA 20
    Saint Jo 11-A 20

I cannot independently verify these, but I do know the same website has the longest active Texas winning streaks correct (Alto 28, Liberty Hill 24).

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The national loss streak record is 82 by Glascock County of Gibson, Georgia from 1990-99.

Sturgis, South Dakota made a recent run at it, going nearly a decade without a win but eventually stopping their streak at 79 in 2006.

12. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Marfa has 7 years to go, but they don't play Fort Hancock, so I could see that.

And I had figured Austin Johnston would make a good case, as those teams were bad...really bad, and undisciplined. But that active streak isn't so much active anymore, since the school was shut down after last year. A new school is reopened there (was going to be named Eastside Memorial), but Austin Johnston is just dead.

Draft saved Draft deleted