1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep FB scoring question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by buckweaver, Sep 8, 2006.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ball gets snapped over the punter's head back toward the end zone. To avoid the touchdown, he kicks the ball out of his own end zone, thereby resulting in a safety for the other team.

In preps (and I believe college), a QB sack goes down as rushing yards lost. Would this play also go down as rushing yards lost (for the punter)? How do you account for the yardage?

Might be different per state, but I'm in California. Couldn't find anything on the CIF site, and don't have a rulebook offhand. Figured I'd ask around here.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'd say rushing yards lost for the punter is the best way to do it. But how are you going to list the play in the scoring summary?

3. DeeCee

DeeCee New Member

1 - 10:14 - Bumblebutt High 2, West 0 - Safety, (insert punter's name) fumbles (or kicks) ball out of end zone

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Scoring summary would say "Defensive safety -- Smith punt out of end zone."

And the answer is not rushing yards lost. Because he did kick the ball, it goes down as negative punting yards. That clarifies that.

But thanks for y'all's help.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I totally overlooked his kicking the ball. Good catch.

(Now I'm hoping this comes up for one of my writers so I can look smart by already knowing the answer.)

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

If it's just a snap over the head and the punter falls on it, though, it's team rushing yardage, correct?

7. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

wow! who would have thought a thread on a kicker would have this type of durability.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

There is no such thing as negative punting yards on a block. It's just listed as a block, and does not count on his punting stats. At least that's how it's done in college.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

read it wrong.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Now if the ball was already in the end zone and he kicks it out, yes it's a safety. But if it's, say, on the 2-yard line and he kicks it out of the back of the EZ, the other team is awarded the ball on the 2. The punter is better off scooping it up and running it out.

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

That's right.

It's a penalty.

It is NOT a negative punt and it isn't negative rushing yardage.

Just a big, long ass fumble.

12. KP

KP Active Member

http://www.ncaa.org/library/statistical/football_stats_manual/2006/2006_football_stats_manual.pdf

Draft saved Draft deleted