1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep Editor, The Daily News Journal, Murfreesboro, Tenn.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by playthrough, Dec 16, 2008.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeeker/Jobs/JobDetails.aspx?sc_extcmp=JS_JobAlert_Title&ipath=PSSKT34U&psa=1&Job_DID=J8F69X65697DC1X2HWY

Full-Time
    Industry: Newspaper
    Manages Others: Yes
    Education: 4 Year Degree
    Experience: At least 2 year(s)
    Posted: 12/15/2008
    Description
    The Daily News Journal is looking for a Prep Sports Editor to manage the daily components of the sports section's high school athletics coverage in print and online. The major responsibilities are as follows:
    1. Write, edit stories for print and online, and provide consistant feedback and skill development for each subordinate to ensure timely and accurate photo, graphics, and design assignments
    2. Supervise daily assignments including planning, directing work, problem solving and performance management. Also works closely with executive sports editor to develop coverage plan.
    Requirements:
    Bachelors degree and 3-5 years related experience. Technical skills include copy editing and page design. Must be able to work nights and weekends.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

It's a Gannett paper, happens to be in my home town.

There's an urban legend that Big G would love to eventually kill this one off. As with Bigfoot, you can occasionally catch a glimpse of that.

Considering the explosive growth in this Nashville bedroom community, the relative lack of market penetration – 15,383 morning, 18,306 Sunday (their numbers) in a city of 83,822/county of 212,434 is shocking.

Lively high school market, though.

I'd be curious what they'll pay this alleged writer and designer with 3-to-5. I wonder if I wasn't making more in Nashville after doing 3-to-5 back in 1984.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Detroit would kill for that kind of penetration

4. sheath

sheath New Member

The last PSE had the position for two years. I had it for nine years prior to that. The current publisher was just coming in when I was leaving so I don't know much about him. Great group of guys to work with. They love their HS sports in Murfreesboro (home of David Price) and all the state championships are held in the Boro. You will work hard here, but you should enjoy working for the Exec. SE

5. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

How will the state association threaten to pick up and move all their championships to another city affect this job?

Of course, the T$$AA has no where to really pick up and move their events to. The only other places that could host with comparable venues for all the sports seems to be Chattanooga and Memphis - and either way; schools on either side of the state are gonna moan about it one or the other is rumored to get the games.

6. OtterGrad

OtterGrad Member

My understanding is the job has been filled.

As a former staffer as well, I am echoing all the kinds things sheath had to say. From the ESE on down, a wonderful group, despite the proliferation of Cubs fans. The new PSE will fit right in, although I don't know his favorite baseball team.

BTW, there is a lot reason to believe the whole TSSAA posturing is an effort to get more cash out of Middle. Not to say other cities won't siphon off an event or two...

7. koolbreeze

koolbreeze Member

Posted on Monday and filled by Friday ... wow, they work fast.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Sometimes an opening isn't really an opening, if you get my drift.

9. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

from my understanding as well, this position is filled. A prep guy from Nashville was said to fill this opening.

10. sheath

sheath New Member

You are correct it has been filled by a prep writer from the Tennessean, who formerly handled their prep sports for the Rutherford County publication. He'll do a good job, I'm not sure who his favorite baseball team is, but I do know he is the second Hoosier-born PSE of the last three so there is a possibility he may be a Reds fan ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted