1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep database services

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BrianGriffin, Jan 19, 2011.

1. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

When I worked at a Texas Hearst, we used a prep database service called TeamPlayer by NewsEngin that allowed us to take box scores online, sort them into stats, standings and team pages and have all that information easily ready to reverse-publish for print.

It wasn't perfect, but I liked it and I'm pitching it, or something like it, to my current shop.

Here's my question: Does anybody else have an opinion on this service and/or does anybody use a comparable service? If so, what is your opinion of that service?

2. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

we cover 4 schools that are in the 3 different districts. So we just grind it out and track stats down and keep stats for each district in a text file that gets updated every week.

3. BrianGriffin

Which makes sense when you are covering four teams. We're in a mid-sized metro of just under a million and in Texas, the Hearst chain included Houston, San Antonio, Beaumont and (if I recall right) Midland. I hear either the DMN or the Star-Telegraph is going to use team player too.

So you can imagine how valuable this service can be, both in eliminated the human labor involved in the weekly managing of statistics and in creating an online resource for readers.

4. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Active Member

Sounds good for a larger market...I'd say it's well worth it in your situation.

I cover 10 preps and 1 junior college, spread across four different leagues...I've moved all my standings info to excel sheets, but am at about the limit for whether its worth the time I put into it.

Finding a quick fix for that basic info that is probably unique to your paper is probably well worth the investment in hours saved to do more in depth stories and hit more games.

5. BrianGriffin

My apologies. I'm the worst on this site for typos. I'm always either posting on the fly or off my I-phone. Either way, it makes for sloppy copy, especially for somebody in the business of the written word.

6. Not sure if it is still working, but I used StatsDepot.com during football season for two years. It was free.

Toughest/Most-consuming part was entering rosters and schedules. Plus, when Local School A played Local School B, you had to enter the boxscore twice (once for each team).

That being said, assuming we got all the boxscores that Friday night (we cover seven schools), the stat leaders were done that night. You could click on a kid's name and it would give you game-by-game and it tracked team/individual highs and lows.

Know there are some others on download.com, but haven't tried them.

7. I'm on TeamPlayer, too. It's way better than the one we used to have, and I've always found the support to be ... supportive.

8. BrianGriffin

Could you use it as a resource on your website? In other words, could you link to it off your prep site and have it be easy to use for readers?

Also, could you reverse publish? As it, copy it into a publishable print document without heavy editing?

9. Hoos3725

Hoos3725 Member

Any idea how much TeamPlayer costs? I would love it for my shop to get something like this. We cover about 50 schools, and all the stats are kept by phone and spreadsheets. But if they can't spring for another part timer, I can't see them paying for more software.

10. BrianGriffin

Van what do you like about it in particular?
    One thing I didn't like, at least in my short time in Texas, was an inconsistency between their box scores and AP style so you either had to edit all of the boxes or just accept the inconsistency. I wasn't there long enough -- about half a year, really -- to figure out if that was a correctable issue.

11. Blake1288

Blake1288 New Member

HighSchoolSportsNet is used by the LSJ.

12. BrianGriffin

That's the Gannett in-house system. I've seen a few other chains with an in-house system. I assume the LSJ is Gannett?

Draft saved Draft deleted