1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep coach gets off (after not, um, getting off)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HeinekenMan, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Sorry, they can. Just like a public university can restrict who goes to practice. There is no First Amendment right to cover a practice. High schools have more leeway because they can argue that open access can cause a distraction to the educational process.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Please. Most teams practice on school grounds and with parents watching. There is no way they could keep a reporter from observing practice at 99 percent of the public high schools in the country.

3. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

The first time I interviewed Maronto a few years back, he came off as a bit odd. All he wanted to talk about was the academic side of things. And this was during the playoffs. Sadly, he's not the first Florida high school coach that I've dealt with to get caught up on the wrong side of the law ... and I've dealt with other coaches who have been charged with much worse than what he has.

And I have to believe that News-Journal editor Pat Rice, knowing him from a previous stop, is challenging the whole closed practice thing.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

What's the problem? He makes enough money to have an entertainment budget.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Just wondering why the pay is so low? Moving around so much really screws you when it comes to retirement. I guess that's why so many coaches stay in one state.

6. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

It's because he only teaches part-time. It says he has two classes. That means he can show up at noon, teach two classes, grab an after-school BJ and be back on campus in time for football practice.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

He probably has full retirement and the $37k is on top of that.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You can retire from multiple states when you are a teacher. Tons of loopholes in that, and that could be why making only $37K might not be "only making" $37K.

No excuse for having these guys still on the grounds, though, with these offenses over their heads.

What could be keeping him there is a stupid decision made by the School Board on a previous HR case. That elem principal, for example. The Board could have gone soft on him because a few of them really liked him "and he only messed up once." Well with that guy still collecting a paycheck, this coach has a lawsuit if they sack him and keep the drunk hired.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

93's got a good point.

Is it correct that coaches in Fla. don't get supplements for their coaching duties? I know that it's not uncommon for retired Fla. coaches to go to Georgia because the salaries for coaches are significantly better.

10. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Depends on the county. In some places, such as apparently this case is, coaches get a supplement that's only worth a few thousand. In other places, especially in the Panhandle, the head football coach "doubles" as the AD so that they can pay them in the 70-75K range.

And, yes, there are some places in Georgia, especially southern Georgia, where a high school football head coach will make six figures.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Got a good friend in Daytona area who does coro work for Orlando. Says Mainland has the most thuggish team in Central Florida under this guy. Got upset in a playoff game two years ago and players charged opposing players, refs, fans, etc., cussing and swearing and making threats. Maronto and his AD stood around like cigar-store indians.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Funny how things change... we were as soft as cotton and never made the playoffs under Muggsy...

Draft saved Draft deleted