1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep Baseball: Good Team 58, Awful Team 0 (5 Innings)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Central-KY-Kid, Apr 8, 2008.

1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

We have two baseball teams in our area that just have fail written all over them.

One lost 29-2 last night.

I can only imagine what happens when they play each other later this season.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Here's another thing:

Awful Team was down 32-0 after the FIRST INNING.

And "Good Team's" starting pitcher threw the whole game.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Iowa preps have the 10 after 5 rule.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Well, my sympathies in that case were for the winning team, but you do have a point.

But you know what? Maybe the losing team just doesn't care that much. I've played on a couple of softball teams that were ye-gods awful, and even down by 20, we still enjoyed ourselves. Sure, you're not hitting home runs like the other guys, but, hey, it's fun when you can scratch out a couple hits or make a decent play in the field.

I would think if it sucked THAT bad to get beat like that, kids would stop playing, right?

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I recently was at one of my son's soccer games in which the opposing team for some unknown reason decided to play about three levels above where it should have been.

The score was 28-0 at the half. It took everything my son's team could muster to keep the score under 40.

After the game I talked to the opposing coach, who was an old friend of mine, and he said with a straight face that "playing up" was a great experience for his team because they are playing the best competition.

I then asked him "do you really think getting beat like this (and believe me, they got smoked like this every week because all the teams in the division are good) is good for your kids?"

He looked at me like I was an idiot.

Now, forget for a moment that I am probably an idiot......

Can someone explain this mentality of some coaches for youth sports or even high school sports that goes something like "it is better to play way above your heads and get crushed than play a team you can compete with and have a chance to win?"

What is that?

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Nope. I don't get that either.

7. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

There's a reason why USC doesn't play Hoover High.

I played baseball casually in my youth, so I wasn't a "must win at everything" guy. So after 20 runs, I probably would have went home.

8. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Goddammit, I had the over at 58 and a half.

9. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

http://www.lcni5.com/cgi-bin/printstory.cgi?News.200848-11-003-003007.lead+003

Bearcats set state records in 58-0 win over Eminence

By staff reports

The common reaction to Anderson County's high school baseball win Monday night was that surely the published score was a misprint.

Anderson County 58, Eminence 0.

58-0 is a one-sided football score, but baseball? Some teams don't score 58 runs in a month.

The score was not a misprint. In fact, the final could have been worse, much worse.

The Bearcats set state records in runs scored, margin of victory and hits. The Bearcats pounded Eminence pitching for 44 hits despite the fact that Anderson coach L.W. Barnes emptied his bench early and several right-handed Bearcat hitters took swings from the left side.

The "mercy rule" came far too late, ending the game after 5 innings.

Anderson second baseman Luke Hawkins set an individual record, scoring 8 runs. His 6 hits tied a state mark held by two other players.

According to the Kentucky High School Athletic Association website, Anderson broke records set by Powell County which scored 44 runs on 35 hits in a game against Owsley County in 1986. Hawkins broke a record set by Powell's James Farmer who scored 6 runs in the same 1986 game.

Anderson scored 32 runs in the top of the first, four short of the state record established by Middlesboro against Pineville in 1984. Anderson's first inning outburst is the second-largest in state history.

"(Eminence was) a bit short-handed due to some discipline reasons, but we truly put the brakes on during the first inning," said Anderson coach L.W. Barnes. "It was the most bizarre thing I have ever witnessed in all my years in baseball."

Ryan Pike smacked 3 doubles, tied for second all time in state history, and drove in 8 runs, tied for sixth in state history. He hit twice from the left side.

While not state records, other Bearcats with an outstanding night included Jeremy Turpin, who had 5 hits and 6 rbi even though he hit twice from the left side, no. 9 hitter Trent Miller, who went 4-for-4, a career high, and Shane Mink, who belted a home run over the left field fence.

Reserve third baseman T.J. Drury smacked 3 hits a varsity best for him.

Barnes admitted he was speechless as the onslaught continued despite his efforts to not run the score up. "I really didn't know what to say," he said.

Tommie Kendall, sports editor of the Anderson News' sister paper, The Henry County Local, was at the game and confirmed that Anderson did all it could to not run the score up. "If Anderson would have kept playing like they did the 
first 20 minutes of the game, I think it would still be going on," Kendall said in a Tuesday e-mail.

On the mound, Pike threw a complete game shutout, running his scoreless string to 12 innings, the tenth-longest string recorded by the KHSAA.

"One thing I was really proud of was the fact that we had no errors," Barnes said. The Eminence field, with dirt cutouts only around the bases, is notorious for rough play but Barnes said his team's defense was outstanding at Eminence.

10. rube

rube Active Member

"Good Team's" coach should've been mugged in the parking lot by the "Awful Team's" players. Lawn chairs should have been legal also.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yeahhh ... when you hit the road and the field has dirt cutouts around the bases, you are dealing with the lower end of the high school baseball spectrum.

Draft saved Draft deleted