1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep Baseball: Good Team 58, Awful Team 0 (5 Innings)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Central-KY-Kid, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

On Monday, Anderson County (Lawrenceburg, KY) traveled to Henry County to take on tiny Eminence in a non-district high school baseball game (meaning this game did not have to be scheduled).

Final Score in 5 innings due to mercy rule: Anderson County 58, Eminence 0.

The Anderson County weekly paper is in our chain, so I'm interested to see how it writes it up later this week here:
    http://www.theandersonnews.com/cgi-bin/storyviewnew.cgi?003+section+Sports

Anderson County, not surprising, broke the 12-year-old state record of 44 runs in a game for a team.

EMINENCE SCHEDULE/RESULTS: http://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/khsaa/kyba08?id=26932
    KHSAA BASEBALL RECORDS: http://www.khsaa.org/records/baseball/staterecords.pdf

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Thank God for the 58-run rule.

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

This is why they need to restructure the mercy rules. I vote for 10 after 5, 15 after 4, 20 after 3.

That's ri-goddamn-diculous.

4. doctor x

doctor x Member

Had one of our softball teams -- a tiny, non-recruiting, barely over .500 Christian school -- win 59-0 on eight hits, 19 errors and a ton of walks a couple of weeks ago. The same day, the baseball team won 31-10 over a different school.

Mercy rule applied, too. Unfortunately for all concerned, our school was the visiting team in both games.

The ineptitude is hard to fathom.

5. Central-KY-Kid

Kentucky allows softball games to end after 2 1/2 or three innings. Baseball must go at least five.

6. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

CKK,

Is Anderson Co. any good? Obviously, they're better than Eminence by a small margin, but in the big state picture?

They sucked ass when I was in high school.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The team with zero, I am guessing, has many infielders who pray the ball is not hit to them.

8. Central-KY-Kid

Anderson is OK. Sometimes it gets votes in the top 25 poll (which is a decent deal for you folks not from Kentucky because Kentucky has only one class for its 200+ baseball programs).

Anderson's wins in past few years: 18 in 2007, 13 in 2006, 11 in 2005, 19 in 2004, 19 in 2003 (lost in Sweet 16 to runner-up Male).

Again not great, but not horrible.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I'm curious if Anderson was still bunting and stealing after a certain point.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

There have been some proposals for a no-minimum-innings 25-run mercy rule in both baseball and softball: if you fall behind by 25 runs, you lose, period.

11. rube

rube Active Member

Gotta love those weekday doubleheaders that can last like eight hours. Spring sports are incredible.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

My question is, why were those two teams even playing each other?

That'd be like a house league hockey team playing a AAA team.

What's the point?

Draft saved Draft deleted