1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

prep athlete suicide ... column worth reading

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Michelle Hiskey, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Shoulda posted more context for this piece.

This column was published in western North Carolina, where there are a lot of small towns and in this case, people generally knew already about the circumstances of this kid's death.

The story was passed along to me by a acquaintance in that community, a retired schoolteacher who isn't that involved in sports; she's more into writing, and she keeps up with the paper so she knows when a story or column stands out (good or bad).

She recognized the risk that Jeremy took to write the column the way he did. It clearly didn't work for many SportsJournalists.com readers. But for her it did, to the point that she clipped it and gave it to an outsider (me).

Every day brings pitiful news of disaffected readers and newspapers dying. For me, her action was a small gleam of light that writing that takes a chance, can (still) connect powerfully with readers.

2. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

Like I said, Michelle, I think we're too hard around here sometimes.

And I appreciate the context. Newspapers are like a stock that's been absolutely battered so hard, and so long, that people don't see how much value remains. Hopefully that changes at some point.

3. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Context or not, I thought the column sucked. Self-indulgent and boring.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Posted this thought before but seeing I in a story is just a turnoff. Takes me out of a story before I get into it.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Especially when it's used as much as this column.

Take out all the I's, somehow, and it would be better. It would capture me, and keep me there.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Sure, Hendersonville had probably already published a story about the kid, but for Trantham to wait so long to get to his point? Big problem right there.

The lede wasn't so air-tight that his name couldn't have been placed a little higher in the story.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You think about it though, and death is all around sports. Sudden-death. Do or die. Blow the guy up. We shouldn't wonder why some people equate losing with a fate equal to death. Pathetic really.

8. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

The sentiment is great and the guy's heart is in the right place, but it really smacks of something I've read or heard before, not an original idea and not the most clever or "in the face" way to hit this. It's also hard for anyone to presume that they know what was bothering this 17 year old, or that his older self might tell him good things.

9. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

Sorry, but a swing and a miss.

Draft saved Draft deleted