1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Premiership games internationally?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hustle, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Teams from the Premier League want to add an extra game to the schedule and play it internationally. FIFA is uncommittal; US Soccer boss says they'll follow the lead of whatever FIFA decides.

I'm not a soccer guy, but I'm down with whatever teams they want to send to DC.

The idea of getting bidding cities, however, seems like a money grab.
  2. The majority of England's TV audience is outside of England. Those games would sellout in an hour. Money-wise it's a great idea but I know the soccer teams' managers hate the idea.
  3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Only a game involving one of the Big Four - Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester United - would sell out here. If Derby and Wigan were going at it in an NFL stadium there would be 10,000 people there - tops. A team like Spurs or Man City might be able to fill a half bowl, but no way would they touch 70,000.
  4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

What he said.

Now, if it's across the pond, I don't care what match I see. Over there, it's about the atmosphere as much as the soccer. But if it's over here, it's gotta be one of the big four.
  5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

You don't think that Sunderland-Reading would sell out the Rose Bowl?
  6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Not going to happen. International federations in the Far East have already said they won't allow it, since it would compete with the domestic leagues.

FIFA will probably nix it as well.

7. KoM

KoM Member

The bigger down side to it is the 39th match more so than playing abroad, I think. What if, say, Manchester United and Arsenal are in a tight title race. One's extra match is against a top four or five club and the other gets to play a relegation bound side?

Everybody plays everybody twice, home and away. That's the purest way to decide any championship - in my opinion.

Plus, FIFA has been on England for years to cut the Premier League down to 18 teams to get the number of matches down, not add another.
  8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

But, KoM, Italy and Spain, both of which used to have 18 teams in their premier leagues, have both expanded their top flights to 20 in recent years to mirror the Premier League.

This was one battle the Premier League won. FIFA has all but left them alone about reducing games.
  9. KoM

KoM Member

I did not know that.
    I only pay attention to Italy and Spain in the Champions League, and didn't realize the have added teams.

If they've gone to 20, maybe the Premier League will return to 22. There is hope for Scunthrope United yet!
  10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I hope this fails for the simple reason that the NFL won't get any crazy ideas about a Game 17.

Spussycathrope ... damn word filter doesn't miss a thing, does it?
  11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Italy used to be really draconian. 18 in Serie A and four relegated/promoted each season. Since then everyone's settled on 20 as a good number for the top flight.
  12. KoM

KoM Member

How the hell did that say whatever it says.

I'm pretty sure I typed Scurnthrope United.

Maybe I hit spell check and changed it or something???
Draft saved Draft deleted