1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Premier Rugby (U.K.) backing pro rugby effort in U.S.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Captain Obvious, May 11, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Re: NFL backing pro rugby effort in U.S.

Yeah, I played regular tackle football for 10 years and was pretty good. I lasted one day at rugby practice. The people who play that sport are fucking insane.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Reminds me of how Budweiser swilling Americans consider European beers to be for sissies.

Meanwhile, they're better, and have a higher alcohol content.

Europeans rightly think American beers like Bud are piss water.

3. Re: NFL backing pro rugby effort in U.S.

Internet tough guy strikes again. If someone doesn't like rugby, that's a preference. If someone thinks professional rugby players are generally wimps compared to American football players, then they are simple minded and their opinion shouldn't be valued by anyone in society.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The All Blacks are freaking awesome...

I have a ton of respect for anyone who plays rugby. I have a few teammates who played at Cal, and those guys are as tough as you'll find.

5. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

FWIW I think the collisions in football are far worse because of the tackling style.

The equipment allows the players to treat their bodies as missiles which you do not see as much in Rugby. Additionally you have to "wrap up" when you tackle rather than use your body as a bowling ball.

In Rugby there are still the big guys (2nd rowers, etc) but they have to be able to move more than a typical football lineman so you don't see the big 375 Lbers as they need some cardio ability.

I played fairly competeitively for a few years and pick up with some ex-semi pro guys. The ability of the big guys to move up and down the field always impressed me.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Rugby is soccer for guys that like to fuck

7. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

The nastiest, toughest, Rugby players in the world are the South Africans, specifically Afrikaaners (Sp?). They play the game mean.

French are the dirtiest.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Re-reading the Guardian article, if they stick with the plan of bringing in some international players to play with the Americans, the match should be competitive.

When I read it initially I thought they intended to go with a 100 percent US team made up of crossover athletes who were just learning the sport. That would be insane.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

And they are correct. The problem is that with the European beers we get here, they are watered down and not as good as anything you'd get across the pond.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Right. And now you can get a good beer at your local brew pub with an ABV of as high as 10%.

Bud, however, will always be piss water, and anyone who thinks there a tough guy because they down a bunch on Buds should be mocked.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Are we in Inglewood? No... You're in my home. Now white people who know the difference between good shit and bad shit, this is the house they come to. Now, my shit, I'll take the Pepsi challenge with that Amsterdam shit, any old day of the fuckin' week.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I don't read the NBA or MLB threads on here, because I don't like the NBA and am a Pirates fan. So I have to ask, when there's an NBA thread, do people jump on it talking about how the league sucks and basketball is a sport for losers? Do NASCAR fans do the same on threads about F1 racing?

Draft saved Draft deleted