1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Premier Rugby (U.K.) backing pro rugby effort in U.S.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Captain Obvious, May 11, 2013.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Re: NFL backing pro rugby effort in U.S.

The league has the keys to one of the largest film libraries in the world.
    100 million feet of celluloid that would thrill fans if its full might were unleashed.
    And you propose they televise ... rugby?
    Are you for real?

2. Re: NFL backing pro rugby effort in U.S.

NFL fans want more NFL football, and maybe big college football matchups. They don't want minor-league football, Arena football, or spring football.

News Corp. looked into professional rugby in the U.S. when union became professional in 1995. Sky Sports shelled out $10 million in 10 years for the rights for the men's national team in the hope rugby would catch on.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm not proposing anything. The NFL is. Your gripe is with the NFL, not me.

4. Re: NFL backing pro rugby effort in U.S.

At least two Americans are playing in the Premiership, while another had a short-term deal to fill in for an injured player. A few are playing for the Top 14 in France. Several others are playing for lower level professional leagues in England and France.

Think of league as rugby with downs since teams can keep possession for six tackles before having to turn over the ball. In union, teams can keep possession as long as they win rucks.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I said no such thing.
    I found the idea preposterous.
    You made it personal, as is your wont.
    The NFL has no need to get any blood out of that stone.
    There is -no advantage- to be derived from an alliance with a halfass rugby league.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yes, saying "you propose they televise ... rugby" isn't you saying I proposed the NFLN televise rugby. Sure.

Again, you should speak to the NFL. It obviously thinks there is something to be gained by partnering with rugby.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The scoring's also different. Union is 5 points for a try, 3 for a penalty or drop goal and 2 for a conversion after a try; league is 4 for a try, 2 for a penalty, 2 for a conversion and only 1 for a drop goal (which because of that lack of value is almost never attempted). And league is 13 players a side, union 15.

In England at least, league is a much more Northern and working-class sport, with union, despite the bruising image of the sport, being very much a toff's game.

8. Re: NFL backing pro rugby effort in U.S.

Union was also the sport preferred by the Vichy regime.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Rugby wouldn't fly because it is a minor league, bush league sport that is played by Euro psuedo-tough guys and we hate those kinds of sports here.

See, soccer.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Rugby is played by pseudo-tough guys? Um, OK.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Oh wait - that one team that wears all black, they make faces and sceam and yell at their opponents in some sort of tribal mating ritual before games so that makes them real tough guys. My bad.....

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Say what you want about rugby, but it's basically football without the helmets and pads.

Rugby players consider American football players to be pussies (some politically correct term to represent a lack of manhood). And, in comparison to Rugby players, they're right.

Draft saved Draft deleted