1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Premier Rugby (U.K.) backing pro rugby effort in U.S.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Captain Obvious, May 11, 2013.

1. The NFL is collaborating with the top professional rugby union league in England on two exhibition matches in the summer, one in Gillette Stadium and the other in London, with the game in Foxborough on the NFL Network. If attendance in Foxborough is decent, the NFL will look to help launch an East Coast league hosted in NFL stadiums.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/may/11/nfl-rugby-union-rugbylaw-barbarians-irish

Maybe Tim Tebow can finally latch onto a team.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Re: NFL backing pro rugby effort in U.S.

Real Irish folk don't play rugby.

3. Re: NFL backing pro rugby effort in U.S.

Sure they don't.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Rugby -- turning the Cal-Stanford play into an entire sport since the 19th Century.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

What would the NFL have to gain from this?

6. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Getting ready for the inevitable of football as we know it going away because of injury lawsuits.

7. Re: NFL backing pro rugby effort in U.S.

Cheap content for the NFL Network that would also sell in countries where rugby is commercially viable.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

NBCN already shows 7s tournaments, which are non-stop action.

9. Re: NFL backing pro rugby effort in U.S.

Sevens is a great "festival" product, but is not a week-to-week event. Plus, it's made up of players who, for the most part, aren't good enough for 15s. Plus, it's not a great product for live TV due to the difficulty of fitting it into a two- or three-hour TV window for North American TV.

While watching sevens is not a great TV viewing experience, I had a blast covering a couple of USA Sevens events when it was in San Diego.

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

Yes, because no one ever gets concussions while playing rugby.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I disagree about it not being good for TV. A couple of matches fit perfectly in a TV window, as NBC is showing by putting the plate and cup finals on NBC and leaving the rest on NBCN.

12. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I can't open the link because I am surfing on my phone but I would think that they are promoting "Rugby League" not "Rugby Union". League is a much quicker game with smaller, quicker line outs and scrums, the pace is great, really built for TV without the gimmickness of Sevens (which I love as well).

I got into League the year I lived in Australia and became a huge fan, even managed to got to a few games in person.

I hopes this leads to more Rugby on TV, would love to see State of Origin shown (basically all the best pro players from Queensland vs all the best from NSW, absolutely ferocious, the intensity was off the charts.

Draft saved Draft deleted