1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Premier League

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Corky Ramirez up on 94th St., Mar 14, 2012.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I know the show, but have never seen it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

By all rights I should have picked an underdog, and even tried to follow Birmingham City a (very) little. But before knowing a lot about Liverpool, I got hooked on The Song. That may be one of the only things left in sports to give me chill bumps.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

I'm a Man U fan, though I can't say I've really liked the team that's been on the field the past two seasons. I feel guilty for rooting for Man U since it's like cheering for the Yankees if you aren't from New York, but you like who you like.

Barcelona is my favorite team, however, because it is the most fun to watch.

And I've watched Poor Decisions ... quite a bit since it comes on after Portlandia, which I love. I'm a David Cross and Will Arnett fan but I haven't been able to get into the show.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I actually really dislike David Cross. But I like the show. Can't stand Portlandia, though. :)

5. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Wow, thanks for your suggestions. I'm glad this fostered such a lively discussion.

I'll be checking out more games as time goes on. But it seems to me that Tottenham (I love the Shakespeare connection), Newcastle and Liverpool are at the top of the list for now, but that's not cemented. I'd also like to get to know the players more. Watching Gerrard's hat trick yesterday was a thing of beauty.

For three years, I lived above an Irish bar in Mystic, Conn. My first year there was the 2006 World Cup. That place was packed at 9 a.m., and I did like the camaraderie. Also got to enjoy some 2 p.m. Premier League games where these fans would come out of the woodwork to watch. I wish I discovered this then, let me tell you.

6. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Celtic uses the song as well. In fact, your not supporting Celtic makes you an anti-Catholic bigot there I said it.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

With the exception of the always whining Nani and sometimes whining Evra (who is having a great year), I think that they are a fun team to watch. Maybe they don't have the flashy brilliance of the Ronaldo era or a predatory striker like RVN, but I think that they play positive soccer, especially when Young and Valencia have been healthy and are moving the ball around.

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Bless you, Uncle R.

Michael/Webster, unlike a lot of Gooners, while I admire the hell out of Wenger and everything he's accomplished, I have no problem criticizing him for his stubborness. For all of his tactical and conditioning brilliance and the unmitigated respect former players have for him, Wenger's mind-boggling refusal to practice set pieces astounds and baffles me.

Not to mention, it goes a long way in explaining why Arsenal gives up a buttload of goals off corners, free kicks and other set-piece misadventures.

And yes, the Delap whinage got old several vintages ago.

9. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

To Bubbler's point, the thing about Arsenal is, they make some amazingly boneheaded defensive mistakes that just make you wanna shoot the tv. Wenger needs to rework the midfield approach/players, for starters, IMO.

But then, OTOH, even though Arsenal excels at frustrating the shit out of you with all their defensive lapses, suddenly, along comes Vermaelen to knock one through the pipes in the 95th minute as he did the other day.

I do wonder if Wenger's job was on the line the other day v. ACMilan.

10. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Come join me as the only other American that cheers for Wigan Athletic (and, I'm also a Sox fan!)
    Of course, you have a few weeks left until the drop...but then I'm switching to Spurs as the team to "watch" while WAFC will be the team to cheer onnline.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If we're just talking Premiership, I've been a Man U fan for the better part of 25 years. But for any overseas side, I've been huge on FC Kaiserslautern of the Deutsche Bundesliga. the Green Bay of German soccer.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It would be nice to see some more US field players head the EPL. Brek Shea has the game and I think that Bradley can play the Makelele role with a mid to bottom table team.

Draft saved Draft deleted