1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Premier League

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Corky Ramirez up on 94th St., Mar 14, 2012.

1. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Perhaps this belongs on the soccer thread, but I figured in a way this wouldn't fit there.

I consider myself a fan of soccer, but up to this point it's been relegated to playing and writing about it. I'm a newbie when it comes to the Premier League and have tried to catch it when the matches are on TV — including today's 3-0 win for Liverpool — and reading up. I'm even dedicating myself to watching/reading about the MLS this year.

Anyway, my question is, who should I follow in the Premier League? I don't want a team that has one multiple times (Man U), just a solid team with history that plays well and has an outside chance of winning the championship at some point — kind of like a Northeastern or Harvard in the Beanpot. I went through this 15 years ago when the Whalers moved. I couldn't stay away from hockey for too long, so I became a nomad ... I tried liking the Maple Leafs, Canadiens (WTF was I thinking) and Islanders, but couldn't do any of them. Finally, in 2007, I just bit the bullet and started following the Bruins (since every game is broadcast here in Connecticut, and there were no players on the team who played against Hartford in 1997), and have been rewarded ever since. I consider myself a diehard Bruins fan now ... but i don't pay much attention to the span between 1979 and 1997. :)

Back on topic. Today's Liverpool-Everton game was fun to watch and I figure now would be a good time to choose a team to follow. So I'm trying to make connections. Liverpool seems too easy because John Henry owns them (I'm a Sox fan). I like to drink Newcastle. I went to high school in Norwich. My brother lives in Bolton. I want to get to England someday, so I'd prefer to find a team that has a sweet place to watch it live.

Keep the anti-soccer sentiment off this. Thanks.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

What is it with you Boston people and asking the whole world to help you pick an EPL team? 8)

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7546063/after-patriots-super-bowl-loss-questing-distraction-english-premier-league-tottenham-hotspur

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060719

3. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Oh Jesus Christ. I'm not reading that. :)

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Newcastle.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I started following Norwich years ago because they had ties to the Lotus car company -- Lotus was their jersey sponsor, and I'm a lifelong Lotus fan. Seemed as good a reason as any. They then promptly dropped down two levels to League One, but they're back in the Prem and doing well enough to stay.

Scratch Man U off your list. Don't be that guy.

If I were to pick a team now, I'd probably back Everton. They're always competitive, though not top 4. They're in Liverpool, which is cool, but they don't have the asshole fan baggage of that other Liverpool team. Their keeper is Tim Howard and it's where Landon Donovan's been playing on his latest European foray.

Arsenal is probably the most palatable of the traditional frontrunners. They're always near the top, but never ever at the top, and can be counted on to never win any hardware. Nick Hornby's "Fever Pitch" was about his lifelong love of Arsenal, and it made it hard for me to root against them.

Blackburn has my favorite jersey in the league, but I wouldn't get too attached -- they could be facing the drop.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I've always liked Man City, even when it was a third-division club for a while. There are plenty of mid-table clubs to like.

I also like Nottingham Forest in the Championship. If you have FOX Soccer Plus, you can watch a couple of matches from that league per week.

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I have a hard time cheering for one Premier League team, but I have no trouble hating Manchester United. I just follow Americans in England and hope they and their teams do well.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I am a Manchester United fan because when I first started watching English soccer over a decade ago, I loved the way that they played. Not sure why they are more evil than Chelsea or Man City. At least United's current 20ish year run was originally based on a bunch of home grown players.

I'd say find the player or two who you like and watch that team. Players like Silva (Man City), RVP (Arsenal -- for now), Rooney (Man United) or Bale (Spurs) will make you love the game. You can watch Fulham (for Dempsey, who is having a great year), Spurs (for Friedel) or Everton (for Tim Howard) as well for the best US players.

It's amazing how quickly you can begin to have opinions about all of the players on a team after only a few weeks.

I think following a team in the top 6 is easier, if only because their game are on FSC or ESPN2 nearly every week. Plus, even though this year hasn't been great for English teams, the knockout stages of the Champions League are great to watch, and if your team is in those games, it is even better.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Man City, especially once they turn back into a pumpkin.

10. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Except for The Verminator knocking one through the pipes in the 95th minute yesterday!
    AR-senal! AR-senal! AR-senal!

11. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Ditto, and the fan network is amazing. I've gone to Arsenal game-watching meetups all over the world. Watching Arsenal-ManU with 600 people on a Sunday/Monday midnight in a hotel in Singapore was a highlight of my last vacation, even though the Gooners lost to ManUre.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted