1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pregnancy pact in Gloucester (Mass.)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Jun 20, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Ross, I hate to say it, but 11 is low. Those are probably the ones you knew about or went full term.

But it does make me wonder why this school needed a high school day care.

2. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Really? Eleven seemed like a very high number to me, remember I graduated in 1997.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Yea, the class (1994) behind me had 20 pregnancies in a class of 150. Eleven is really low.

4. KP

KP Active Member

Maybe that class just banged a lot.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

No more than my class. We were just smart enough to use condoms. We had full-on sex ed. They didn't.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

1. My high school had a day care. With a waiting list. And that didn't include the teenagers who had their mothers/grandmothers take care of their babies.

2. I agree that it's more about class than race. Those in middle or upper classes may have the ways and means to terminate the pregnancy. Plus, the middle and upper classes retain a stigma of teen pregnancy that lower classes do not, making termination a more viable choice.

3. It's also about culture. Certain minority cultures, regardless of income levels, have no problem with teenage marriage or pregnancy. Ever been to a quinceñara? These days its mostly seen as another glorified "sweet sixteen" party for hispanic girls, but there are still those who believe it truly means a young woman is ready for marriage.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And guess what No Child Left Behind does not emphasize so it is getting cut left and right?

Draft saved Draft deleted