1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pregnancy pact in Gloucester (Mass.)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Jun 20, 2008.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I guess I just have different standards about outing people than you do, especially when it comes to kids, regardless of the fact that they got pregnant. As socially and morally irresponsible as it is, they didn't actually commit a crime.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

This has nothing to do with the story but the clip I saw on the news last night had an exterior shot of the high school.

Their sports teams go by the nickname "Fightin' Fishermen".

3. Armchair_QB

Actions have consequences.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Yeah. In this case, the consequences are the girls become parents and these babies will face a possible lifetime of real issues.

Why would you want to add more problems for these kids? Naming the parents would do just that.

5. Armchair_QB

I just don't agree that naming the parents "outs" the girls any more than they're already "out".

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Was Jamie Lynn Spears in on this?

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Abortion is legal in this country for a reason...

8. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

On CBS News, the reporter said the area is losing jobs. Ok fine (welcome to the 21st century any average northeast industrial town), but what does that have to do with 17 year old girls getting knocked up? Instead of "My town sucks and I want to get out of here as soon as possible," we get babies having babies and you're stucks in town forever. I always thought of Gloucester as being a bit better than either New Bedford or Fall Rive, but who knew?

9. Grimace

Grimace Guest

On a side note, Gloucester sounds like a great place to cruise for chicks. I like to think I've got more game than a 24-year-old homeless guy.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Only if you're also into 15-year-old girls.

11. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Simple: America is just plain ignorant! These girls are 17 and some possibly graduating from high school and maybe going to college. Don't these girls think that getting pregnant and having to care for a child is going to hinder their ability to perform in college? Absolutely patethic. If I were the parents of these children I would disown them immediately. If I were a college administrator, I'd revoke these girls admittance into my college and tell them to smarten up a bit and learn some common sense before admitting themselves into a place of higher education, something these girls are neither qualified or mature enough to understand.

This isn't something to be exciting about. If there's anything these kids should have learned from Knocked Up or Juno, it's unexpected pregnancies are not something to jump up and down and be clap your hands about. Sure, new life is a wonderful and beautiful thing, but when you're not prepared for it, it sure as hell can be a mess and I don't envy their parents, who, out of pity, will likely have to take these newborns into their homes and help care for them while their daughters attempt to figure out their lives.

Sorry for the rant ;D

12. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

That's how you get problems solved, people.

Draft saved Draft deleted