1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pregnancy announcements on Facebook

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It hasn't specifically hurt relationships. But I'm saying that while I was on it, it feels too easy to just communicate with people via Facebook instead of making real effort. You end up talking to some guy you went to h.s. with more often than some of your best friends and family, just because of Facebook. I didn't like it. I don't think I'm alone or totally out of the mainstream with this. People have written books on the topic.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That's like blaming the phone for you calling people you don't especially like to talk to.

I talk on there with the people I most want to talk to. My family members are active on there, so I interact with them quite often.

3. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

I'm sorry you talked to some guy you went to high school with more than your family because of Facebook.

4. Dick Whitman

I'm not getting the joke.

5. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

The fault, dear Brutus...

6. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

This is a good way to go.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

SportsJournalists.com is forcing Dick to talk to us more than his family as well.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

The joke: Blaming the medium for your failures to stay in touch with those you care about.

I'm as guilty of missing out on talking to people as anyone. I'll have two-hour convos with people at work, but won't call my best friend in Kentucky. I'll surf SJ, but won't shoot an e-mail to my aunt.

But to blame Facebook because YOU didn't make the effort? That's the joke. Read it again. "I'm sorry you chose this guy over people you cared about BECAUSE OF FACEBOOK." Which is essentially what you wrote, or how it came across. You're blaming the medium instead of your choice in the matter.

9. Dick Whitman

I think that's fair.

I guess I shouldn't blame Facebook as much as to say that it isn't a great fit for my personality?

10. Dick Whitman

Ha. See: Post above this one.

I think that the roundabout thing I'm getting at is that we should, as humankind of whatever, be cognizant of our interaction with technology. Not because the technology is bad. But because we can be.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I wouldn't want to thumb through a 79-picture album of the kids' recent trip to the zoo if I were at the same table.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I find fb to be incredibly woman-centric... the posts about how one couldn't get to sleep last night.. the bad breakup...her migraine.. the kids are going swimming after dinner... HOLY SHIT!

There are exceptions, but guys in general don't vomit out their daily comings and goings on fb.

Draft saved Draft deleted