1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pregnancy announcements on Facebook

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The social networking behemoth has added a new function in which you can formally include in your profile that you are expecting:

http://news.yahoo.com/announce-pregnancy-facebook-172333160.html

I'm about as crazy about this as I am about social networking in general and Facebook specifically. Namely, not at all. I miss the days when people had to work at relationships. That's what made human contact and closeness rewarding. Now, since I'm not on Facebook, I am always about five steps behind the news of my friends and acquiantances because everyone announces everything on the Internet.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

This is good. Now you don't have to have the same conversation with 500 people.

3. printdust

printdust New Member

Hell these days you can have your own documentary on the birth of your kid. Why people think those are worth watching outside the family, I don't know.

4. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Haha. My ultrasound picture is my profile pic. But it's the only one I posted. :)

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Dude, posting pictures of the freaking crabcake sandwich they just made is unnecessary but it doesn't seem to stop them.

6. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

Dick,

I hear what you are saying about the personal contact. In many ways, Facebook has helped with that. I'm one of those parents who posts (too many) pictures of my kid. That said, I do it as much for my father, stepmother, in-laws and other family who are scattered around the country. It helps them feel like they are more connected in these early years. When we were far enough along, Mrs. Hawk and I both had the ultrasound as our profile picture. It definitely made it easier to get the word out.

As long as it doesn't replace in-person interaction, it's a useful tool for communicating.

7. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Then:

1) Be OK with this, as it's 2011 and we aren't going back; or
    2) Get on Facebook.

The average person on Facebook is a 40-year-old woman. The idea that it's this new-fangled thingamadoo for the kiddies was true in 2004, but it's not true anymore.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That would be a helluva way to find out you're gonna be a dad.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

My wife and I struggled with Facebook during her pregnancy. We actually didn't "Facebook announce" her pregnancy and did a couple of belly pics that we just limited to our families.

Around the time the baby was due, I actually disabled people posting on my wall because I wanted to control the message of the announcement instead of somebody hearing from somebody and posting "hey, congrats on the new baby!" on our wall followed by responses of "What? Really?" and then the trainwreck that follows that.

Our daughter was born at 2 a.m., we went to sleep for a few hours, woke up and texted all of our close friends and family to make sure they found out in a more personal way. We then posted an announcement at about 10 a.m. on Facebook.

As crazy as it sounds, you really have to think it through.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

My wife was uncomfortable with loads of pictures of our baby being seen by 700 of my friends, many of whom I haven't seen since high school.

So we set up a list that's nothing but family and close friends, about 35 people. I post baby pictures there and only there.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's definitely not that. I truly thinks it hurts relationships with people. At least for me.

12. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

I'm sorry Facebook has hurt your relationships.

Draft saved Draft deleted