1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Preferred Beats

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Xodus, Apr 1, 2008.

1. This is no way a statement on your talent, ability, fortitude, character or judgment.

But if all you've covered is JUCO and Division 3 football, you have never been within 1,000 nautical miles of what it's like to try to get to know the players on a major Division I-A/Bowl Subdivision beat.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Word. There's a kid from my coverage area on the college team I cover, and since I only get access (and almost never one-on-one) to him once a week during the season and spring practice and once or twice (at best) during the offseason, I'm still not sure he knows who I am. And I've been covering him for five years.

3. That is very typical. And it has nothing to do with, "Chatting people up" or "Trying to talk about some things other than football" and all the other advice that flies around about developing rapport and sources.

Division I college kids are taught:

1. Be very cautious and vanilla with what you say. Or face the consequences.
    2. Your time with reporters is a duty that you have to fulfill - no different than calisthetics. You are not there to make friends. Get in. Get out.

Draft saved Draft deleted