1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Preferred Beats

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Xodus, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Xodus

Xodus Member

I've seen a lot of people on here complain about the beats they covered (college football, NFL etc.) and I was wondering what beats people actually LIKED covering.

And has anyone here covered the NBA. I'm one of the last 100 or so huge NBA fans and covering the NBA is one of the reasons I want to get in the business. How exhausting do all the games and travel get?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Point to consider - if you are a fan, stay away from covering it. Just trust me. Best to cover something else and remain a fan.
    Nothing will beat the fan out of you like covering something.

3. You can complain about it and still like it, right? I don't think the two things are mutually exclusive.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I would recommend you never teach developing minds.
    You're the "dream crusher." ;)

But, you're right about this one. It will "beat" it right out of you.

5. I don't know. Can you say that Sam Smith isn't an NBA fan? That John Clayton isn't an NFL fan? Should Peter Gammons have covered the NHL instead?

I understand that these are exceptions that prove the rule, and I get what you're getting at Moddy. But I think you can love the sport and cover it and still do a credible job, so long as you "get" that your job is to report, not fawn.

6. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

What Moderator1 said!!!!
    I have to add, though, that I pretty much enjoyed covering the NHL, except for the travel, which eventually got real old, as I did.

7. Mediator

Mediator Member

College basketball is a lot of fun, especially if your paper can afford to send you to the Final Four. The people are pretty accessible, there are lots of stories to break or niches to explore and live basketball is a blast to cover.

8. Xodus

Xodus Member

Hmm...Never thought about it like that.

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

You think Sam has ever bought a pair of tickets to take a friend to a game?
    Just to watch? Just to sit down, have a beer, and watch the game?

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

If you want to be an NBA beat writer, you better get to one of the markets where the NBA doesn't get overshadowed by NFL, MLB or both. In most of those places, the sports editors pay attention to the 800 lb. gorillas first, and you become associated with something secondary (or third-ary?), no matter how crisp your copy or timely your scoops.

Also, for future reference, NBA is a beat where it's easier to pull off the road than NFL or MLB, if that's where your paper's budget is headed. Skip a game here, a game there, stay in touch with coach or PR guy by phone, you're basically covered. NFL travels so seldom, paper wouldn't miss a road game. MLB stays in one place three days at a time, so more efficiency in staffing road games.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

When the Nats were born, I told my SE at the time to please, please, please not have me do any of the coverage. I'd do anything else but I really wanted to just be a fan of something again.
    You can enjoy what you cover, sure. I enjoyed a lot of what I covered. But enjoying it and being a fan are two different animals in my book. Maybe I'm wrong. Wouldn't be a new thing!

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

100 percent right. The only sporting event that is immune to this is the NCAA Tournament...

Draft saved Draft deleted