1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Preemptive rejection letter?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BigSleeper, Jul 17, 2008.

1. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I've applied for plenty of jobs in my career, but I never encountered something like this. Last week, I applied for a position. Today, I got an email saying my "qualifications are under review," and that if I don't hear from them within a month, then I can assume they're not interested.

So, is this basically a preemptive rejection letter or are my "qualifications" really up for review?

2. mdpoppy

mdpoppy Member

Could just be their way of letting you know they received your application. Kind of odd wording though -- maybe they just don't want you to get your hopes up.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

it was for job with a large chain, correct?

4. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

My hopes aren't really that high anyway. I just never got a letter like that before.

And yes, it's a very large paper.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i don't think it's a negative ... just HR speak.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I sent a follow-up e-mail this morning concerning a sports information opening I had applied for. I got a reply e-mail that was totally blank except for the automated signature. I've got no clue how to take that one.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You don't want that job anyway.

8. captzulu

captzulu Member

I applied for a non-journalism job once with a state agency. A couple months later, they sent me a letter telling me they've filled the position. A week later, they sent another letter apologizing for misspelling my name in the rejection letter.

And then there was the time I got not one, but two rejection cards from Barnes & Noble back in high school ...

9. healingman

healingman Guest

Take it as HR speak. That's the way things are done in our automated world.

Don't give Sam Zell any ideas.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

You'd be amazed. This one missed payroll on Monday.

11. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

All corporations do this now. You don't get a rejection letter, you get a "We will call you if interested." It's all done by computer now.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Preemptive would be if you got the letter before you sent your application ...

Draft saved Draft deleted