1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Predict the big scandal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, May 30, 2008.

?

What will be the big scandal of the general election?

1. McCain sex scandal

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  2. Obama sex scandal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. McCain funny money business (a payoff/slush fund/tax issue/etc)

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. Obama funny money business (a payoff/slush fund/tax issue/etc)

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  5. McCain says something truly inappropriate

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  6. Obama gets another Jeremiah Wright-type eruption

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  7. Something with Cindy

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  8. Something with Michelle

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  9. Other (please explain)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Nothing, really - just drips and drabs of shit nobody cares about

12 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yeah, this was an entirely different look. Usually they laugh and point too.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

So you think that is more troubling than a candidate who mistakenly says Iran is allowing Al Qaeda fighters in its country, then returning them to Iraq?

btw, if you count Guam and Puerto Rico and add states that have both primaries and caususes . . . the number is closer to 57 than it is to 50.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I see it the exact opposite, Chris. Only reason for Obama not to want to debate is if he is so far ahead that he can only hurt himself, not benefit. But if it is close, I'd be pushing for a debate every day. Obama is a bright guy--my guess is brighter than McCain, although I can't quantify that. You can be bright like Al Gore and a dreadful know-it-all debater, but Obama doesn't come off that way. And he is a more intelligent man than John Kerry, who is a stuffed shirt who has memorized a few pages from the dictionary. Obama has a charisma to go with the intelligence.

He has good instincts, which is how he has gotten to where he is. He knows how to funnel in on a good message and he delivers it well. With how senile (you are definitely going to get these moments from him when he is back in the spotlight; I'll bet the house) and off-the-mark McCain can seem at times, you don't think he has more to be worried about in a live format?

Most importantly, though, when you put Obama side-by-side with McCain on high-definition TV, it is going to make Nixon look like a combination of George Clooney and Brad Pitt in his debate with JFK compared to McCain. If I was Obama, I'd be pushing for that.

4. The 57 states thing has already been explained to you. He was half joking, kind of like saying, "I've been to what seems like 100 states." If you can't see that, you're willfully ignorant or just plain stupid.

As far as the media's love, wasn't McCain the one who got a standing ovation by the AP convention? Isn't McCain the one who has been treated like a good 'ol, straight talkin' guy by the media? They actually list the media love's for him as one of his advantages in the fall.

If it was Obama against any other candidate, I'd agree with you. But the media love is about even here.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

.... and we're off.

6. OK. To get us back on topic. . .

I say there's a McCain lobbying/conflict of interest scandal out there OR the number of small lobbying/conflict of interest stories that are already out there add up to such a large amount that they sink him.

I think we've heard all there is about Obama's past. Why? Because he doesn't have much of a past. That's why we hear about nonsense like 57 states, etc.

McCain has had 30 years. There's a lot of material there.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

That's a good point. Lot's of material there.

8. More "old man forgets things" fodder?

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/05/30/mccain_asserts_return_to_presu.html?hpid=topnews

And about those quiet cities?

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've heard there are a ton of comments out there from Michelle Obama which will be shown about a zillion times between now and November.

Is it a scandal? No, but it will be treated as such...

10. Mizzougrad96

I don't know who will win, but I guarantee you this election will be anything but a landslide.

11. Mizzougrad96

I don't think it will be anything of substance from either side...

It will be Michelle hates whites vs. McCain is old...

That kind of crap.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Uhm, could you not sense the attempt at humor there?

Draft saved Draft deleted