1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prearranged Marriages

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DEB, Sep 15, 2007.

1. DEB

DEB Member

We are having a debate here at work today about prearranged marriages because it is practiced in certain cultures.

Do you believe in this practice? Would you consider this an option and do you know people that have done this? Has it worked? Failed?

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'd prefer it to having to date.

3. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Watch the documentary Stolen Brides...it explains a lot.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I worked with a guy from Mauritius whose mother arranged his marriage. He'd never met the woman until he went back for the wedding. He brought her back to Canada (can only imagine what she made of the weather here after living there) and when he showed us the wedding pics I'd never seen a more dour bride in my life.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

My ex was good friends with a guy who was in an arranged marriage. The couple had two kids. He spoke down to his wife and treated her like garbage, plus he was a known philanderer.
    Not saying all arranged marriages are like this but when you're pretty much sold by your family, you're nothing more than property.
    I'm glad that's not a part of my culture.

6. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

I'd be down for this, since I have no game and basically suck at dating. Of course, I'm not sure I'd trust my parents to pick my life partner...

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

http://www.suntimes.com/news/otherviews/558419,CST-EDT-muslim15.article

Interesting story about an ethnic Albanian Muslim teacher in which she talks about her prearranged marriage. She did basically to make her parents happy, even though otherwise she is pretty strong and independent -- and much more interested than her husband than expanding her social horizons outside that community.

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

A good friend of ours - also Albanian, although Catholic - had a prearranged marriage. Her husband was extremely abusive to her and the kids. She begged her family for help but received almost none. Her parents discouraged here from leaving the man. Eventually he was imprisoned on charges unrelated to the abuse and will likely be deported when he's released. And this is a beautiful woman, who's now raising her kids alone and has returned to college. And she has described it as being sold by your family.

9. Cansportschick

I know that Deb is waiting for my response on this issue...

Deb, I am going to keep you waiting just a little bit longer.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Do you two have some sort of real-life issue with each other?

11. Cansportschick

Yes, we do professionally. It all makes sense now Doctor, doesn't it?

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yeah. DEB's kind of a bitch, huh?

Draft saved Draft deleted