1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Preakness Stakes 2009

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Blitz, May 11, 2009.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Excellent! When I first heard the horse's name a few weeks ago, that was my first thought.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Smith couldn't find a hole big enough to suit him when negotiating the last turn (SURPRISE . . . NOT!) . . .
    jerked Bird's head hard-right at the top of the stretch to find a clear lane, seven wide, then settled in . . . too late.
    With most of Smith's rides these days, the rail is but a distant memory. It's great to be a Hall of Famer
    with money.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

In the Belmont, that's not liable to matter. There probably won't be more than 7-8 entries tops. Mine That Bird and Rachel A should scare off the rest, and rightly so.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

So true. If he had the balls Borel did, he might have won that race.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Borel is pretty good.
    He knows his horses and what they can do. And he's not afraid to ride them through a pinhole.

A jockey once told me you start your career with a boulder for a heart. Every time you hit the dirt, a piece chips off and eventually you're riding around with a pebble in there.

I think Borel still has his boulder.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

True, but he's taken some bad falls in his career too. Pretty sure he's missing a spleen and I know he busted up a few ribs and was even in a coma at one point. There are a lot of great jocks out there, and it would probably be a stretch to call him one of the absolute best, but the man has balls when it comes to hugging that rail. At 42 years old, to have guts like that, is pretty impressive.

Mr. Hecht may be able to illuminate us a bit here, but isn't Mike Smith's nickname The Anchor? As in, he loves to toss anchor out wide to the right and get the hell out of traffic?

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I agree, DD. That's what I was trying to say, didn't express it that well. Borel, for his tumbles, has kept his boulder.
    I also think Ben may have pretty much said that about Smith. He may have also been suggesting that Mr. Smith and his horse were similar in the balls department but I don't wan to put words in his mouth.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

9. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I think Bird will beat her if both are in the Belmont. Would have been nice to see him catch her a tad sooner yesterday. Would have made a more exciting finish.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

For a year when the Triple Crown isn't in play, I've got to say the Belmont will be a must-see. Mine that Bird v. Rachel Alexandra, and Musket Man (which has received zero press) finishing third in both legs of the Crown.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

We'll know soon enough. Were she mine, she wouldn't run in the Belmont .. but she's Jess Jackson's, and if she came back out of yesterday's exercise unhurt, expect she'll go for it.

Pray for her.

12. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

If there's a small field, I wouldn't be surprised if Rachel Alexandra gets off to a big early lead and cruises home. If Big Drama hadn't pushed her so hard early, Mine That Bird wouldn't have gotten anywhere near her down the stretch.

Draft saved Draft deleted