1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Preakness Stakes 2009

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Blitz, May 11, 2009.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Not a bad draw for Rachel (13). A lot of people are liking Big Drama (1) but against the rail might make it kind of tough to get around.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The #13's a horrible draw, given Pimlico's configuration . . . no one in
    the race is going to do Bo-Rail any favors . . . and the sheer depth of this field is clearly above Preakness average . .. if she wins it, she
    will have earned it . ..

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

With nothing really jumping out at me, this might be my approach.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I'd do that if I thought there were three horses that could beat Rachel Alexandra, but I don't think there are. I think only two other horses can win — Mine That Bird and Big Drama. But to win, either would have to run as well as he did the last time out, which was merely the best race either has ever run. I think the odds are better that both will regress.

If I can get a couple of double-digit horses to fill out the trifecta, that'll be fine.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

And if rachel wins, you would be trifectamoderatelywelloff

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

ZZ Top in the infield and thousands of white trash from East Baltimore getting drunk = Preakness

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Is the Preakness the shortest TC race or the longest? I can never remember.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

shortest mile and 3/16

Derby mile and 1/4

Belmont mile and 1/2

9. trifectarich

New rules instituted at Pimlico. No longer can fans bring their own beer with them to the track. And I think I read somewhere that general admission into the infield is $50. No wonder's the track's owner is bankrupt; its marketing plan is a freakin' disaster.

10. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Just took a look at the lists...

I'm liking Big Drama (10-1), Pionnerof the Nile (5-1), Take the Points (30-1) and Fresian Fire (6-1). Rachel Alexandra's odds (8-5) have scared me off.

More later.

11. trifectarich

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'll probably box Big Drama (1), Pioneer (9) and Rachel (13) in a triple and I may add Papa Clem (7) into the mix for a superfecta box.

Edit: Done but I still don't think I have a good feel for this race. The mile and a half at Belmont is the one I look forward to most.

Draft saved Draft deleted