1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Preakness Stakes 2009

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Blitz, May 11, 2009.

1. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

It doesn't seem right that Borel would even consider mounting another horse, following his team's surprise Derby win.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/11/sports/othersports/11racing.html?_r=1&ref=sports

Year to year, the Triple Crown races are always exciting to ponder.

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

His chance to win would appear to be much better going with Rachel Alexandra, but that's why they run the race. If the filly is entered, I think she's the betting favorite.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Has anyone ever won a jockey triple crown - on different horses?

4. Nope. And to be fair to Borel, he's been on Rachel since last fall. He only got the Mine That Bird mount at the last minute.
    Besides, who are you going to ride for in the future? Jess Jackson and Steve Asmussen or a couple of cowboys from New Mexico that likely won't be in the Derby again.

5. trifectarich

I think it's quite rare that a jockey might win two Triple Crown races in the same year on different horses. A little research shows that back in 1898, Willie Simms won the Derby with Plaudit and the Preakness with Sly Fox.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

According to Daily Racing Form's research, no jockey has ever won the Derby, then ridden a different horse for the Preakness even though his Derby horse was still in the race.

Still, it seems like the right call for Calvin. But it would be a blast to see Mine That Bird pull off another miracle.

7. trifectarich

1 Big Drama (J. Velazquez) 10-1
    2 Mine That Bird (M. Smith) 9-2
    3 Musket Man (E. Coa) 10-1
    4 Luv Gov (J. Theriot) 50-1
    5 Friesan Fire (G. Saez) 10-1
    6 Terrain (J. Rose) 30-1
    7 Papa Clem (R. Bejarano) 8-1
    8 General Quarters (J. Leparoux) 20-1
    9 Pioneerof the Nile (G. Gomez) 5-1
    10 Flying Private (A. Garcia) 50-1
    11 Take the Points (E. Prado) 30-1
    12 Tone It Down (K. Desormeaux) 50-1
    13 f-Rachel Alexandra (Borel) 8-5

On paper, the filly looks to be the best horse by a relatively wide margin.

Good luck to one and all.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm more pumped for this one than the Derby. I have a feeling the filly is gonna whip the fellas.

9. Moderator1

Borel does, too.
    Back to my original question: Has a jockey ever won a triple on different horses? Or two TC races on different horses?

10. trifectarich

Concerning your second question, yes (see my earlier post: Willie Simms, won the 1898 Derby and Preakness on two different horses).

11. Moderator1

Shit. My bad. I didn't even SEE those earlier responses. Lord, I need better drugs.
    My apologies.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Of course it could also be a race to throw out the favorite, throw out the last-race Cinderella story and box some combination of the rest to try to catch a very "trifectarich."

Draft saved Draft deleted