1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Preaching to the choir: Why JRC went down in flames

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lapdog, Nov 14, 2008.

1. lapdog

lapdog Member

http://poynter.org/column.asp?id=123

2. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Minor threadjack, possibly the earliest ever on a thread: Why is "itself" needed in the sentence? Why not just "Journal Register Company was delisted ..." and omit the word?

"Both" also is unnecessary almost all the time.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

BYH just got a hard-on and has no idea why...

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I remember the AJR story on JRC, where Jelenic was asked about his paper's declining circulations. He scoffed at the reporter and claimed that the company 'didn't want circulation for circulation's sake.'

I bet they wish they had those readers back now.

5. Gold

Gold Active Member

From a business point of view, why would you buy the paper? You would be better off waiting for them to close, buying the presses at 10 cents on the dollar, and starting your own newspaper. In those communities, a twice-a-week print paper could probably do very well in tandem with a great Internet site.

6. goneup

goneup Member

The papers JRC has already announced it wants to sell don't include presses. The buyer gets a name and circulation list. And they're working-class areas, not likely to fall in love with a Web-only product.
    New Haven, on the other hand, seems like a prize if a buyer can separate it from all the JRC bullshit and start from scratch. It's an awesome city just dying for a good paper. My resume is ready and waiting ...

7. Gold

Gold Active Member

If they don't sell the presses, they have nothing. And if they file for some sort of bankruptcy or receivership, that is the first asset they are going to look for.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

But at 1:41:44 p.m. he stopped worrying about it.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nice...

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think most newspapers can trace their decline to forgetting what their product is/was. Too many managers think their business is making "profit" instead of the product that helps them deliver the profit.
    I actually heard a publisher once state that our "product" was profit. I didn't get into the news business to make "profit," I wanted to serve a community and tell its stories. The "business" was a lot less fun and interesting after that. When the publisher dropped that bomb, I should have headed for the door right then and there.

11. goneup

goneup Member

They don't have presses at these two places (possibly more). They stopped printing at these shops a couple of years ago. So yeah, you buy the paper, you gotta find a way to print it. Nice business model, huh? Buy the joint, rape it, then decide you don't want it and drop it off in Nebraska.

12. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

really, this is why you chose to threadjack? go figure.

Draft saved Draft deleted