1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pre-Super Tuesday Presidential poll

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Feb 26, 2020.

?

Who is your pick for the 2020 Presidential election?

1. Joe Biden

29 vote(s)
    33.0%
  2. Michael Bloomberg

6 vote(s)
    6.8%
  3. Pete Buttigieg

7 vote(s)
    8.0%
  4. Amy Klobuchar

3 vote(s)
    3.4%
  5. Bernie Sanders

8 vote(s)
    9.1%
  6. Tom Steyer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Donald Trump

7 vote(s)
    8.0%
  8. Elizabeth Warren

23 vote(s)
    26.1%
  9. Other

5 vote(s)
    5.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The student loan shit is outrageous. As you said, it's a fucking insult to me. I went to a JC for two years and put myself through college at a state school (I'm not asking for a pat on the back, it was so much easier to do in the '80s).
    My wife and I saved for our entire marriage to make sure our kids got out of college without debt. State schools. Our vacations were to Laughlin, fucking Nevada for 15 years.

You want to go to Pepperdine to get your english degree? That's on you, bub. Not on me.

The thing she's going to do the first day is erase all student debt? Fuck that.

I hate Trump. HATE him. But I am not voting for that.

I went from Republican to independent 20-25 years ago. There is a good reason I never actually went to the Democratic party. They are so god damned stupid.

MileHigh, Liut and CD Boogie like this.
  2. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

You guys sound so fucking out of touch with reality if you’re seriously comparing the cost of high education 25-30 years ago to what people have paid the last 10.

And it’s not just the absurd cost of higher education, either. It’s also that graduates enter a tight post-recession job market where wages have stagnated and even declined over the last decade.

I paid off all my student loans. I still support student loan forgiveness.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That quote was from the book of Bloomberg quotes that one of his employees made. Warren was a little off on the quote. One of his female execs announced that she was pregnant, and according to the quote he asked her "Are you going to kill it?" He didn't tell her to, but yes, it was way over the line - that he said it, if he did, not that she quoted him to his face about it.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If higher ed kept pace with inflation, it would be half the price it is today. When you factor in declining tax dollars to support for public universities, the expanding enrollment yielding no savings (it doesn't cost any more money to care for grounds or building upkeep if there are 5k students or 20k students), the lack of savings with technology (students still are forced to buy $200 textbooks instead of "leasing them" on-line for six months).
    Always figured the feds could step in with a tax break, making college loans deductible up to X amount per year. If students still want to go to an Ivy, they can - or go to a school where it would be basically free. Figure a number of schools would suddenly drop their tuitions when they aren't deemed "worth" the extra cost.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Title IX is to blame

6. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I don’t think she would have said that at the debate if her people hadn’t talked to the woman

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Yet.

OscarMadison and Tweener like this.
  8. Neutral Corner

And confirmed the quote? That makes it more usable, not less.

If you find that quote offensive, imagine how the pregnant Bloomberg exec felt hearing it coming from the company owner.

9. Neutral Corner

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Said it before and will day again: *Go the other way on student loans.* Stop backing them entirely. Get out of the business, let banks turn down every 2.7 student on the planet, depopulate the colleges of all its mediocrity and costs will go down right fast. You’re there either because your parents can pay or you found a college willing to educate your ass for free. Then, suddenly, guess what? You don’t have to get a four-year degree to work at a fuckin realty company.

It’d work - and it wouldn’t cost much.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

And poor and minorities will be close to a permanent underclass. Bravo. Institutional systemic legal racism and segregation.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

There’s a means test for getting pell grants you don’t pay back and, beyond that, colleges carve out space - purposefully - for diversity.

What’d you lose most is White Male Business Major who’s going to work as a loan officer or insurance agent.

But I’ll say this yab: if you dumped backed loans, man, would that change what public schools are doing. In the best way. No longer would it be the goal to get as many people to college as possible, but to get the best academic students there, while better preparing other students for damn good careers where the job fields are pretty wide open.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.