1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pre-Super Tuesday Presidential poll

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Feb 26, 2020.

?

Who is your pick for the 2020 Presidential election?

1. Joe Biden

29 vote(s)
    33.0%
  2. Michael Bloomberg

6 vote(s)
    6.8%
  3. Pete Buttigieg

7 vote(s)
    8.0%
  4. Amy Klobuchar

3 vote(s)
    3.4%
  5. Bernie Sanders

8 vote(s)
    9.1%
  6. Tom Steyer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Donald Trump

7 vote(s)
    8.0%
  8. Elizabeth Warren

23 vote(s)
    26.1%
  9. Other

5 vote(s)
    5.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A defense of Warren: She is the candidate who has been the most honest about her proposals, to her great detriment in the Medicare for All debate. She has proven, with the CFPB, that she can create institutions to work for the public good. She is an effective communicator, as befits a good lawyer. In the personal area, she is at least tied with Biden for overall human decency. But she's a smart girl, and many men and an unfortunate number of women can't abide that and haven't been able to since they were children.

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Yep. Demanding. I'm taking hostages and I'll off them if Guy Incognito doesn't answer within 45 minutes.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Girl? She's 70.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

This is unadulterated horseshit. She’s been at her most mediocre as a candidate when she’s been in front.

I’m also not clear what makes Buttigieg a less decent person than Warren or Biden.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

One of the reasons she’s not a good candidate is that she inspires maudlin nonsense like this.

Warren has been a wildly successful person any way you slice it, repeatedly *rewarded* for her intelligence. But she doesn’t make President? Sexism.

One of the disappointing things with Warren is she’s embodied grievance and hardship in a way that belies the extraordinary life she’s lived.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That's not an answer. As for sexism not being her problem, only a man could say that. If anyone of her critics here had simply said her policies are too far left for me or I don't think she'll win, that'd be fine. Beyond criticism. Instead we get this horseshit.
    I will concede that Buttigieg seems like a fine person. In 10-15 years, he will likely be a strong nominee for the Democratic Party. Just needs to get the fuck out of Indiana, which I'm sure will be his very next move.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Mayor Pete should just drop out today and run for president in 2060 when he'll be the same age Bernie is now.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I chuckled and then went wait, that's NOT an exaggeration

garrow likes this.
  9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don’t think sexism is her problem.

And when AOC wins the nomination in 8 years, it won’t be her problem either.

Warren is a 15-20% candidate. The more attention I paid to her the less impressed I got, really by the appearance. She’s not straightforward with people.

(Note, by appearance I mean by the appearance at an event.)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

And yet your preference is the Corporate Speak Candidate? Pete speaks in generalities and platitudes.

11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

While Massachusetts politics shouldn't be reduced to Cambridge = Massachusetts, the Republican Party is inept and there are only pockets of Republican voters in SE Mass and the rural parts of Worcester County. Even the rich suburbs are going Democratic except for governor.

Being a better candidate than Martha Coakley isn't a high bar to clear.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I don't think that's true. I was excited for Obama, but his campaigns against McCain and Romney didn't feel anything like the last election or this one.

EDIT: Re-reading that post, I acknowledge the myopic view of those elections through the lens of my own liberal bias. I'm sure someone with a conservative point of view would see those elections differently.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.