1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pre-Season NFL Talk, Take 2

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Aug 10, 2010.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

And Gilbert was never the same after sitting out. I don't care how good Revis is. If he sits out an entire year, he'll never reach the level he's currently at.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

To be fair, we are talking about a very different type of athlete here. Gilbert was a very large man with issues controlling his weight. He was never going to last long. Hell, he rarely managed to stay on the field even in college.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Well, a supremely conditioned athlete in his prime is still going to struggle to regain top form if he takes an entire year off because that conditioning and success come from specific training. I don't care how much time he spends training away from the game; it's not the same.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'll set the over/under on regular season games Revis misses right now:

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I agree. As usual, stupid ass Jets. Pay the man.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Gilbert was never all that in the first place. While I was pissed at Dom Capers for being that freaking desperate, at least he admitted as much after the fact. YGBFKM, Gilbert was grossly overrated. As soon as he got that fat contract out of Charlotte, he mailed it in. Thank goodness Kris Jenkins came along ... until he was foolishly shipped north.

Stupid, stupid, stupid move. Question is, regarding the Jets, how much of this is Revis' ego, how much of this is his agent doing a rendition of the Poston brothers and how much of this is Mike Tannenbaum offering not much of an ear? (Serious questions ... NYSportsJournalists.com knows far more than I ever will about this)

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Reports have Jets offering 10 years, 120 million; Revis wants 160 million

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

It's all a crock of shit. They're all in on it to build visibility for everybody.

HBO needs the attention to boost ratings for Hard Knocks.

The Jets need the attention b/c they still haven't sold all the PSLs at the new stadium.

Revis needs the attention b/c, well, he's an elite athlete and elite athletes always need the attention.

The agents need the attention b/c, well, they're agents and agents always need the attention.

Rex Ryan needs the attention b/c, well, he's Rex Ryan and he always needs the attention.

Mike Tannenbaum needs the attention b/c it'll help everyone see how smart he is. *snort*

And Woody Johnson needs the attention b/c he's got the attention span of a 5-yr-old on Ritalin. He takes over the team and hires the anti-Parcells type in Herm Edwards. He fires Edwards and hires the anti-Edwards type in Eric Mangini. He fires Mangini (after three seasons, two plus-.500 records and one playoff berth) and replaces him with the anti-Mangini in Rex Ryan. He dumps Chad Pennington for Brett Favre b/c Favre will help sell PSLs. Favre "retires" and he drafts Mark Sanchez b/c Sanchez will help sell PSLs.

Woody is a blithering idiot, but no worse than the third-biggest moron in NY sports thanks to the President and Vice President of the Lucky Sperm Club: Jimmy Dolan and Jeffy Wilpon.

Spnited is right. Revis will not miss a single regular season game.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I have the Jets penciled in for third behind (in no particular order) the Dolphins and Jets. But it will be an amusing third. Wednesdays will be more newsy than Sundays for that team.

10. outofplace

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-jets-ryansrevisplan

The Jets really are determined to negotiate this one through the press. Now Ryan is claiming he wants to negotiate with the entire team present, thus putting Revis even more on the spot. If Revis ever had any trust for anybody in that organization, it should be gone now. (Ok, that trust thing was a funny idea anyway).

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

How does that put Revis on the spot? Wouldn't it put both Revis AND the Jets on the spot to get something hammered out and end this charade?

And I love how Revis is losing something like $17K a day off his $1 million salary this year.

12. outofplace

Because it then becomes easier to make Revis look like the greedy one. Let's face it. He IS looking out for himself, not the team. Players have an idea what a player needs. They don't really know what the team can afford.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted