1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pre-Season NFL Talk, Take 2

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Aug 10, 2010.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong. I don't have a problem with Revis holding out either, but how much good is that doing him? And I get the non-guaranteed contract stuff and the "get it now" mentality. I'm all for that. I'm just saying that this might be a case where Revis can't get it ALL right now.

I understand it from both sides. I just think the Jets have the advantage in this thing. Unless they fold, which very well could happen.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Ty Law and Revis I'm pretty sure share some of the same "cousins" or DNA.

There is one impressive bloodline somewhere in the Aliquippa projects.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I wonder if Rex Ryan has reconsidered his rage about Woodson winning the defensive POY last year. Seems like the Jets played a very large role in creating Revis' impressions of his worth to the team. Now they get to wallow in it.

4. I don't think it is a question of afford. What kind of precedent does this set for other contract situations?
    Sonner's on point.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I'll do it for you, and I hate the Steelers.

There are so many things wrong with NFL contracts.

Lamarr Woodly is making $500,000 this year. He should be making a couple million. He cant restructure for more based on the current labor agreement. I mean, I don't feel bad for the guy because he makes a lot of money, but how would you like to be Woodley, making a 10th of what other players, worse players around him are making. If I found out some of my incompetent coworkers were making 10x what I made, I would be missed. Not to mention, the way the NFL works, once he gets his big pay day, it may not be gauranteed. Maybe by that time he is older and doesn't perform. Before you know it, he's out of the league, with out a huge payday and a pile of medical bills.

I don't know how they should fix it. But a starting linebacker as good as Woodley should not be making $500k

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I think Cromartie is a true game changer, the kind of guy who has the ability to have some outrageous performances like 2 100-yard interception returns in one game. He just has that great electricity. And he's likely at his peak. Having said that, he really does no good on a shity offense, and should prosper with the Jets. I'm not a Jets fan, but I was excited to see the Jets get him because it seemed like they are building a quality defense. I'm really excited to see that team play, except without Revis, I'm not sure how good they will be. Together, those guys are a great knockout punch. On offense, the Jets appear to have enough weapons to score enough points to win. Defense has to get them the wins though. They need Revis.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I take it you didn't watch a Charger game last year.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Obviously not. Cromartie is going to make his share of big plays. He will also give up way too many of them.

Now, if you put Revis on the other side eliminating the opponent's top receiver, Cromartie has a much easier job in coverage and will have more opportunities to make big plays. But if he has to be the top corner, he's going to get torched way too much for the big plays to be worth it.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

That Revis' uncle is Sean Gilbert should be worrisome for the Jets. Gilbert was an idiot who played the religion card and got bailed out by a couple of more foolish people. Didn't work for anyone but Gilbert's fat wallet, which he fell on quite often in the waning games.

But back to the point: Revis will probably have the chutzpah to carry this out for a while. Not good news for supporters of the Jets.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I wonder if Gilbert is really as big of a factor as the Jets are making him out to be. Seems to me that they just want somebody to blame and he makes a convenient target.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This is why there are big signing bonuses up front for good players. If you get cut to save cap money--i.e. you have a huge contract -- there was a 100 percent chance that you also collected a huge signing bonus up front, as insurance for the fact that your contract isn't guaranteed. In addition, if it is a cap cut, it doesn't mean your career is over. You're a free agent who can then sign elsewhere.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Rex, as usual, helped create this mess by shooting off his fat mouth last year and saying Revis is the best defensive player in the league.
    Revis' reply: Great, pay me!

Besides, the Jets' entire defensive concept is based on never having to double team the opponent's best receiver because Revis will shut him down. No Revis means the whole defensive philosophy gets blown to pieces.

As BYH said, this will be good stuff on Hard Knocks and Revis will be starting on opening night as the highest paid CB in the NFL.

Draft saved Draft deleted