1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prayers to Morocco, 3ffak

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Nov 16, 2009.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

As many people know, I joined the Peace Corps about 26 3/4 months ago. You serve for 27 months, and today was my last day in my site, a place I've never felt more at home. I head to Rabat tomorrow for the check-out process.

I've been saying goodbyes all week and it's been horribly painful, especially because my place of work closed unexpectedly and some people don't even know I'm leaving. Two days ago, I asked when my basketball class was. I burst into tears at the thought of leaving, so I couldn't even answer.

Today's been the worst, with both my host mother and I bawling our eyes out. She brought me cookies and apologized that she couldn't afford to buy me something ... the woman opened her home and heart to me, and she feels guilty. I wouldn't have made it without her, honestly.

I can't bear to think about life somewhere else, and saying goodbye has been hard. The SO-that-wasn't-in-the-plans is a tough one to deal with, too.

But to make it worse, after my host mom and both composed ourselves and to talk about "shar sbah, inchallah" when I'm hoping to return for a visit, I get a text from Peace Corps.

A volunteer who was a year behind me, also working youth development, died today. Although I didn't know her well, I worked with her at camp and she's not only an amazing face painter, she gave me a great haircut.

I am guessing she was about 24. Whatever illness she had was sudden and her family did not make it here, but the Peace Corps doctor was with her.

My service has been rocky, from the beginning when my group got evacuated due to a death in a host family and now I am going out with this. I feel sick.

I am still grappling with the saying goodbyes and lack of closure I've had during the past few months (don't ask). I'm really too much in shock right now to grasp So-youn's death, but please keep me in mind.

Shukron.

kjim

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

How you ever found us from Morocco, I'll never know. But sounds like a neat experience.

3. dooley_womack1

What letter is 3 supposed to represent?

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

KJIM, prayers to you as well. Sounds like you have had the experience of a lifetime...maybe when things settle down, you can tell us more about what you've done over the last 27 months. Good luck in the next chapter of your life.....what's next for you?

5. Prayers coming, KJIM. And if it's any condolence in tough times, it sounds like you've done some wonderful things in the past 26 3/4 months.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

Hang in there, KJIM. Sounds like a fascinating experience. You're a bigger person than I because I couldn't do it.

7. dooley_womack1

To lighten the mood, maybe you could watch Volunteers. :D

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

KJIM,

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this sadness. Please do take advantage of the Peace Corps counselors.

My brother served in the Peace Corps in Ukraine and had a very tough 'exit' as well. I think he had severe reverse culture shock. About a week after he was home, I remember him walking into a 'Super Kroger' grocery store and saying he felt like balling up into the fetal position on the floor of one of the aisles. For this country to have so much and take so much for granted... and for the place he served to have so little... it's tough to reconcile.

Know that what you're going through is 100% normal. Godspeed and prayers.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Keep your head up, man. Better times will come.

Draft saved Draft deleted