1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prayers, thoughts needed for sister

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportsguydave, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for your loss, Dave. Good wishes to you and your family.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

rip, melanie. :'( :'( :'(

deepest, most heartfelt sympathies, dave. man, this thread is how many days old? we here at SportsJournalists.com nation somehow feel like we've shared this emotional roller-coaster ride with you and your family. effin' effin' eff. life is an mf'er. :'(

3. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

My thoughts and prayers are with you Dave. It's good you were able to be there with family during this tough time.

4. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Morning everyone..and thanks again for the notes of support..especially from those of you that I've maybe traded barbs with over what now feels like insignificant crap.

Today the focus shifts to celebrating my sister's too brief but full life. We will plan her service and make the other final arrangements...she wanted to be cremated and her ashes interred with our grandma, who passed away in 1987.

I also have been drafted -surprise, surprise - to write her obit. Not a job I am looking forward to...but I am the best man for it, I suppose.

I will also give her eulogy, I guess. All part of that oldest brother deal.

Shockey..this thread is now nine days old.she was rushed to the hospital Saturday afternoon, March 26...it all happened so fast. Still doesn't seem real.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Hang in there man. Prayers for you and your family.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

What will happen to her kids? Can they all stay together?

7. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Thanks mizzou and 21...and everyone else...

My sisters two oldest kids ...18 and 15...live with their dad...the youngest four will be with their dad...her boyfriend. It will be challenging...but he knows he is not alone. We are a phone call, text or email away...

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Good luck, Dave. Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

9. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Prayers to you and the family. I feel for the six children who will grow up without a mother. Very, very sad.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Dave,

I'm not trying to pry and feel free to tell me to fuck off if you don't want to answer, but hearing about someone dying at 39 scares the living shit out of me.

What were her health issues? Is this someone who just abused herself to get to this point? Is there a family history?

Again, feel free to tell me to fuck off if I'm overstepping, but any possible way to understand why something happened to someone so young is helpful.

Again, prayers to your family and I hope everyone is doing as well as can be expected.

11. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Dave, so sorry to hear such sad news. Prayers for you and the family, especially Melanie's children. All of you will be impacted, but the children especially.
    I can totally understand the sad but relieved part. That's how it was for us when my mom passed away.
    If I could pass along anything I learned from that experience, it would be this: don't focus on the negatives, in your case the health concerns you had brought up with Melanie. Focus instead on the positives. The first few years after my mom passed I was focused on the negatives. It did me absolutely no favors. It wasn't until a friend's dad passed away and he remembered his dad so warmly that I realized I had been looking at things the wrong way.

12. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

so sorry for your loss

Draft saved Draft deleted