1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prayers, thoughts needed for sister

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportsguydave, Mar 26, 2011.

1. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

21, her oldest son .. who is 16 ... went to see her yesterday and saw her in intensive care ... hooked up to the ventilator .. jaundiced, skin yellow ... ran from the room crying, saying "my mom is dying.."

Thanks for the smiles, shockey.. it all helps. :)

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Best to your sister, the rest of your family and you, SGD. Take care ...

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

sending positive vibes, dave. I hope for the best for your sis.

4. sportsguydave

Thanks so much, guys.

A brief Sunday night update: Mixed bag to report. Not much change since yesterday. Her kidney enzymes have dropped, but that is mainly due to the dialysis, apparently.

Liver function tests today reveal what we already suspected: Most of her liver is gone. What that means long term, I don't know. Maybe DocTalk can stop by and offer a few thoughts, as the nurses are playing it understandably close to the vest.

Her pancreatic enzymes are also elevated, which means that her pancreas is now involved, too.

Nurse said earlier today that it will be a "long, slow process," which at least sounds a bit positive. But she is completely on life support at this point. They are going to try and bring her out of a medically induced coma tomorrow (Monday). Cautious optimism I guess is the key phrase tonight and tomorrow.

Thank so much again for the notes of support, everyone. It's what we do best around here.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

God, that is so tragic. But good news that she's holding on.

Was she in decent health prior to this? She had to be taking a ton of acetaminophen to do that much damage, right?

6. sportsguydave

No, not really, 21 ... she has not been taking care of herself for awhile, and has been very depressed to boot. She apparently thought that carrying extra weight meant she could tolerate a higher dosage ... It doesn't work that way. I don't know how much acetaminophen it takes to trigger this ... maybe another question for DocTalk?

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Dave, any news?

8. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Dave, so sorry to hear this. You have my thoughts and prayers. And thanks for the warning about the Tylenol. My fiance takes a lot, too. He always says he has a very high metabolism so he ups the dosage by one compared with normal. I'll warn him about this. Did your sister have any symptoms leading up to this?

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Dave,

Thoughts and prayers going out to your sister, the kids and you. You're a good brother.

10. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Dave,

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

11. sportsguydave

Hello everyone...a sad update tonight. My beloved sister Melanie passed away this morning at 11:05 am Pacific time. I was with her, as were her boyfriend and brother Greg.

I am sad...but relieved. I have been here since Thursday and it has been hard to see her like this. She has gone to a better place.

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers, guys.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

dave,

Heartfelt condolences and support from this corner of the country. Having been through a similar vigil with both parents, I can understand the sadness and the relief. Don't hesitate to reach out when you need an ear, whether it's on here and with someone you know off the board. Even if it's six months from now. Your request and updates got us to care. That won't change.

Hang in there.

JD

Draft saved Draft deleted