1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prayers, thoughts needed for sister

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportsguydave, Mar 26, 2011.

1. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Evening everyone...

Some thoughts, prayers and good wishes would be very much appreciated for my younger sister, Melanie. I got a call this afternoon that she was rushed to Scripps Hospital in Chula Vista, Ca. with severe abdominal pains. She was admitted to the ER and diagnosed with acute liver failure...which comes as a complete shock to all of us. She is 39 with six kids ranging in age from 6 to 21.

My sister has not always taken good care of herself over the years, and my younger brothers and I have gotten on her case repeatedly over it. I am the oldest, so much of that has come from me.

What triggered this, I don't know. But her liver is shutting down, she was transferred to the ICU a few hours ago, and now she is in renal failure and on dialysis too.

So in a nutshell: It doesn't look good at all.

I feel like I've been slugged in the gut with a sledgehammer ... because no matter how much my hardheaded sister and I butted heads when we were growing up, we've always been there for each other as adults. Sometimes we argue, bicker or hang up on each other, but never in my worst nightmares have I imagined her not being there.

I've seen this rodeo before, and unfortunately, I know how it typically ends. But miracles do happen. Faith, after all, is belief without evidence.

Thanks for listening, everyone.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Best wishes, dude. I can't imagine what you're going through.

3. sportsguydave

Thanks, dooley... It really sucks to be 3,000 miles away and unable to do a damn thing. Not that i would be able to do much if I were out there ... but...

4. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Praying for the whole family, especially your sister, that a miracle will happen.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Best thoughts to your family.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

So sorry, Dave. Thinking of you and your family.

7. sportsguydave

Thanks everyone..

Latest report sounded a bit encouraging ... the liver failure may be pegged to taking too much Walmart-brand Tylenol... apparently an acetominophen overdose can cause acute liver failure.

The next 24 hours will be pretty critical.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Praying for a miracle, dude.

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

So sorry ... keep good thoughts.

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

SGDave.... I'm sending you and Melanie serious good karma. She needs to pull through this and she will Keep up the keeping up for her and keep us posted.

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Sending all my best wishes to your sister, you and your family.

12. Colton

Colton Active Member

Best wishes, SGD...

Draft saved Draft deleted