1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prayers, positive thoughts would be appreciated

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny Dangerously, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Learned of this earlier today in a company-wide e-mail. Now that it's on the Web site, I guess I can bring it to your attention and ask for prayers/thoughts for John and his family.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/7001482.html

The Advocate’s Capitol news bureau editor John LaPlante was seriously injured Thursday while swimming at the beach in Galveston, Texas, a family member said.

LaPlante was listed in critical condition Thursday evening at the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston, said Deborah Jones, nurse administrator.

Linda Sadden of Baton Rouge, a cousin who had been in contact with LaPlante’s wife, Merrill, said Thursday night the 54-year-old political columnist was receiving breathing assistance in the hospital’s intensive care unit.

His family was taking a short vacation while his children were out of school this week for spring break.

LaPlante was swimming with his two children near the 61st Street Fishing Pier when a strong current swept them away, Sadden said.

His teenaged son and daughter managed to climb out of the water on a rock jetty, Sadden said. Bystanders threw LaPlante a life ring, which he held onto for a short time before losing his grasp, she said.

He was rescued by life guards, identified by a Houston television station as Lt. Tony Pryor and Aaron Shaffner.

The 61st Street Fishing Pier is a popular gathering spot open 24 hours a day to fishermen and local residents who frequent the sightseeing deck over the Gulf of Mexico, said pier worker Norah Maddin.

Maddin said swimmers are not allowed within 300 feet of the pier. The last few days have been windy, she said, causing the water to be rough.

“In terms of people getting caught in a riptide around here, it happens at least a few times a year,” Maddin said.

2. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Many prayers and positive thoughts. JD - keep us posted and let us know what we can do to help, if anything.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

My thoughts are with the family, J_D. And with the staff, which has already been through so much in the past year and a half.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You've got it, brother....

5. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

Oh, man, know that area well. Very dicey tides. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family. He's in a good hospital.

6. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Best thoughts and prayers, indeed. The ocean scares the fuck out of me. I'm definitely an inland kind of guy.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's awful. Prayers on the way.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I love the ocean, and if there's one thing that scares the fuck out of me, it's the prospect of a riptide. Prayers going out.

9. RokSki

RokSki New Member

All prayers and thoughts with him, for sure. What a sad story.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

12. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Man. Sad to hear.

Prayers for his family.

Draft saved Draft deleted