1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prayers needed for the real FarmerJ (UPDATE)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by farmerjerome, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Hang in there, FJ. Everyone does chemo and deals with this differently, which is why there is no firm diagnosis of how long he has. Your dad sounds like a trooper and he's not stupid. He knows what's going on. So treating him like an invalid for however long he's going to be on this planet will do nothing but severely annoy him.

If you have children (or if you have siblings who have children), visit as OFTEN AS POSSIBLE. Nothing cheers a grandfather up more than visits from his grandkids. I wish so many times that I would have been able to visit my grandparents more. Now all I have are vague memories and some old home movies.

If he hasn't updated his will lately, make sure he does that (my family has been in that situation where there was nothing finalized and there was a very sudden death. I know it's morbid to think about the paperwork but it will make yours - and your mother's - lives much simpler after the fact) and also, ask him what he wants. You don't have to do it RIGHT NOW but it's just something to think about.

Just some thoughts. Cancer is a bitch (my grandmother survived but heart disease took her from me.) and one of the most inhumane things ever. My prayers go out to you and your family. And I wish you a speedy recovery as well.

2. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

One of the first things the doctor said was to get his will and other things in order. Hell, right now he just wants to get his taxes done on time.
    Dr. J and I don't have any little ones, and we have a very small family. We plan to spend as much quality time with him as possible. On the flip side, I don't want to enroach on the time my mom has with him. It will be a balance.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

FJ, hopefully he'll tolerate the chemo well and you can focus on his good health, not his illness. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Good luck, fj.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Thoughts heading your way, fj.

6. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

I don't think your mom will mind you spending a lot of time with him, especially since the family's small. Please see him as much as you can. He, and your mom, will really appreciate it.

Hang in there. You've got a lot of people here rooting for you and your dad.

7. farmerjerome

Thanks everyone. My family and I appreciate every kind word. I'll hold it in my heart when he starts treatment Friday.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Haven't been here much this past week but just wanted to let you know that at the back of my church there's a big bowl on a table and little pieces of paper. The idea is you write your intentions on the small paper and put it in the bowl, then it's taken to the front of church and all the intentions are prayed for. At Easter mass, I dropped one in with you and your family in there, so hundreds at St. Joe's were praying for you and your family on Easter Sunday. Stay strong and keep praying and hoping for the best.

9. patchs

patchs Active Member

Hey, you know how to get a hold of me, if I can help, let me know. Even if it's a ear.
    I owe you one.

10. farmerjerome

Well, here's the bad news everyone. It came as a shock; last night they told us he could come home midweek from a bought of dehydration, this morning the hospital called with the news.

I'm holding up okay, a little angry that no one told me how sick he was (I didn't get to say goodbye and couldn't get a hold of him since Saturday), but a few prayers from my mom would be great.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Damn, FJ, very sorry to hear that. Best to you and your mom. Hang in.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss, FJ.

Draft saved Draft deleted